Family Health Expert Forum
Swollen Lymph Nodes and excessive sweating

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Dear Doctor:
I have had a comprehensive physical during which my blood and urinary tests came back negative for most diseases.  However, for the past two years I have been experiencing highly excessive sweating, even when I am cold, in the armpits, groin area, back of my neck, hands and feet.  In addition, over the past year I have been feeling a certain tightness that comes and goes in the right side of my lower abdomen.  I also have similar tightness in my armpits/breast area.  One doctor told me it must be associated with the menstrual cycle and suggested that I take primrose oil.  Another doctor told me I had enlarged lymph node on the right side of my lower abdomen (the one on the left side is of a normal size).  Please advise what you think the swelling of the lymph nodes might be a symptom of.  Moreover, I would appreciate it if you could delve into trying to figure out if the excessive sweating problem is related.  If there is no correlation, perhaps you could tell me what this excessive sweating might be a symptom of as well...
Thank you very much for your time and help on this.
Lymph nodes can be indicative of inflammation, infection or cancer.  It may be possible that the sweating is related (in the rare case of lymphoma - cancer of the lymph nodes).  

I would be tested for various forms of infection - such as an HIV test as well as a PPD for tuberculosis.  Blood cultures can also be considered - since endocarditis (infection of the heart valves), can lead to sweating and enlarged nodes.

Blood tests looking at the liver, kidneys, blood count, and thyroid should be done.

Regarding cancer screening - ensure your routine tests are uptode (mammogram, pap smear, colon cancer after age 50).  A biopsy of the lymph nodes can be considered for a more definitive diagnosis.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.
Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Thank you for your answer.  I have an appointment with my physician on Tuesday.
I'm sorry to hear you had this problem. How did your doctor's appointment go?
I have appox. 2 lymph node swelling underneath my chin location prior to the start of the top of my neck.  It is accompanied by a sore throat.....it this simply a sign of an oncoming cold or should I be concerned?
A related discussion, Swollen lymph nodes and sweating too much was started.