Family Health Expert Forum
Swollen glands in neck

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Swollen glands in neck

About 3 weeks ago I had a mild sore throat which subsided in just a few days however my throat since then has been dry and felt like a lump in it but these 2 simptons have been intermittent, but I have what appears to be glands on each side of my throat that can be felt from the outside that are swollen.  The swelling goes down and then it will swell again and these changes can happen very quickly, at times going away completely for a few minutes and then return.  The glands are not painfull in anyway nor are they sore. Also the first week that this started a couple of times I felt a little bad and run down somewhat but I did not get a fever. 3 days ago my throat stopped bothering me at all, no dryness or lump is felt any longer however the glands continue to do the same thing although I have nocitced that one of them has stopped swelling as much. Could this be from some type of allergy? or maybe an infection of some type?  I did have what appeared to be an allergy problem about 10 years ago with a similar feeling of a lump in my throat but it was much worse at that time.  I saw several doctors at that time and they could not pinpoint the cause but were sure it was an allergy and after I tried several medications which did not seem to help it eventually subsided. I feel fine and have no signs of any type of weight loss or any other unusal aches or pains.  I am a 43 year old male.  Thank you for your help.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

What you are describing is known as adenopathy (swollen lymph nodes).  You seem to be referring to the nodes in your neck, known as the the cervical lymph nodes.

The cervical lymph nodes are often enlarged due to a variety of infections of the head and neck or to some systemic infections such as infectious mononucleosis due to Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus infection, or toxoplasmosis.

Inflamed cervical nodes that develop over a few days and progress to fluctuation, especially in children, are typically caused by staphylococcal and streptococcal infection.

Of course, everybody's concern with enlarged nodes is the possibility of cancer.  Localized lymphadenopathy can be observed for three to four weeks if there is nothing else in the history and physical examination to suggest malignancy. This approach is safe and avoids unnecessary biopsies since the adenopathy will resolve or the cause will become obvious in many patients during that time. Even with "can't miss" diagnoses such as Hodgkin's disease, head and neck cancer, or tuberculosis, the window of opportunity for effective treatment is likely to remain open during this period of observation.

Thus, I would observe the nodes for the next 3-4 weeks - if they are still present or enlarge, I would follow up with your personal physician for further evaluation.

I suggest continued followup with your personal physician.

I stress that this answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
I too have the glands in my neck swollen. My ears feel like there is alot of pressure. Even though my doctor says I do not an ear infection, to me this is not normal. The area behind and below my ear lobes on my neck is very tender. I will look into those possiblities you listed too.
I went to the doctor about three weeks ago with the following symptoms:

1.  Sore neck - my glands are swollen and my neck is actually sore to touch, it hurts to turn my head and when I yawn, cough or sneeze I get a sharp pain in my neck.

2.  I have pressure in my ears, my neck, my mouth and my face.

3.  I have intermittent feelings of a low-grade fever.

They told me I had a sinue infection and gave me a decongestant (can't remember the name) and amoxycillin.  After 4 days on the antibiotic I didn't feel any better and actually was feeling worse so I called the doctor back.  This time they called me in a prescription for Biaxin.  I have been on the Biaxin for 8 days and I do not feel any better.  My neck is so sore and I am living on Ibuprofen.  I take 800-1000 mgs at a time and I feel okay for about 6 hours then I have to take it again.  I do not actually have a sore throat, it is my neck (my face and my ears) that hurts.  The overall sick feeling seems to come in waves and sometimes comes on very rapidly.  

Does this sound like mono?  I have felt badly for so long that my imagination is starting to get the best of me and I really worry what is wrong with me.  I have even worried about Hodgkins Disease...Any ideas?
Hi! About a week ago the glands in my neck started to swell on both sides of my neck and were very sore then i also have another gland on the base of the back of my head that is swollen and sore. A few days after the swelling i had a sore throat and blisters on both sides of my tounge this went away in afew days but the glands are still swollen!What is wrong??
A related discussion, Swollen neck glands was started.