Family Health Expert Forum
Swollen preauricular lymph node
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Swollen preauricular lymph node

Hello, thank you for taking my question.
   What is the significance or possible cause of a unilateral painless, swollen preauricular lymph node?  It is not very large, (maybe 1 cm., if that) not visible, but palpable on only one side right in front of my ear.  It is soft and movable.  (I'm assuming it's a lymph node) I had bad ear infections as a child, but not recently. (29 y/o male now.)  This is the only symptom I have.  When I search the internet for possible causes, naturally all that comes up is cancer, hiv, etc.,  My questions are:
1)  Would this typically be a lymph node associated with a cancer or hiv infection?

2)  What other diseases can cause this?  I wasn't even aware we had lymph nodes over here!!

Thank you again.  I look forward to your response.  (Try not to scare me too much:)
Pan