Family Health Expert Forum
Tension Headache or something else?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Tension Headache or something else?

Hi, I'm a 24 y/o female from NYC. Since monday I've had a stiff neck and headaches with a lot of pressure around my head. Im also having pain down my back a little (esp lowerback) and get very tired walking, up stairs, etc. I have no fever or anything, actually my temp is a just a little lower than normal.

I'm a little concerned because I don't know what might be causing this, it's very uncomfortable. The stiffness isn't as strong in the morning after I wake up, but it seems to fluctuate and get worse near the end of the day, it's always there though.

I was recently (7/19) prescribed 25mg of Atenolol daily for my skipped heart beats (MVP), could this cause pre headaches?

I feel a little silly writing this, but I did refill my water bottle at a public fountain on friday, so I'm a bit worried if I may have caught something...but then again I don't seem to have a fever.

I guess my main question is, is a stiff neck a common symptom of your garden variety tension headache (I've never had one before now)?...or could this be something more serious like meningitis, even without a fever?  I will probably see my doc anyway, but I guess I just want a bit of reassurance. Thanks...
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
I am not aware of atenolol leading to headaches.  Interestingly, they are typically prescribed to prevent migraine headaches.

Whenever I hear stiff neck and headache, meningitis should be considered.  Even without a fever, there is a possibility that a viral form (aseptic) is present.  

If meningitis has been evaluated for - then yes, a tension headache can cause the symptoms.  It is certainly possible for a tension headache to present with some neck stiffness.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
0 Comments
Blank
I have long suffered from migraines and tension headaches as well as rebound headaches (from an addiction to Advil).  I rarely take any advil or stronger medication.  If I have a bad headache I try to rest (I am a stay at home mom of a 4 and 3 year old), a warm cloth on my eyes and when my huspand hets home I take to tylenol PM's and go to bed.  9 times out of 10 that takes care of it.  After stopping all pain medication I do have fewer headaches.  Also noticing the culprits:  smoke, bleach, onions, aged cheese, any wine or alcohol, purfume, ammonia, candlelight, strobe lights to name a few.  Blue cheese and Chicken Marsala are the WORSE!  Good luck.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979