Family Health Expert Forum
Tetanus and wound questions

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Tetanus and wound questions
I have confusion about what is a tetanus prone injury. I pinched my pinky finger on my outdoor faucet on/off lever, it is in a wall, not in the dirt and is new and is metal covered with red plastic. It tore off a couple mm of skin and bled a lot. I let it bleed then washed it out, put on antibiotic ointment and now 8 days later it's completely healed. From what I have read it's mostly puncture and dirty wounds that are at risk, not superficial cuts, especially bleeding ones (and I squeezed the finger to really let the blood out). Was this sufficient?

Should I have received a tetanus shot? I had the full series as a child, then at age 11, then a booster in 1995 and a booster in 2004.  (I am 35).  

Does the booster in 2004 cover me?  If not, is it too late to get another tetanus shot?
Any suspicious wound should be considered for tetanus prophylaxis.

The recommendations are as follows.  

For clean wounds, repeat tetanus shot is not recommended if it was given less than 10 years ago.

For all other wounds, repeat tetanus shot is not recommended if ti was given less than 5 years ago.

If you had a booster in 2004, you should be covered.  However, I would discuss this with your personal physician to make sure.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
What is a "clean" wound? Was my wound "clean"