Family Health Expert Forum
Thickening of lungs

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Thickening of lungs
I recently had a CAT scan of my abdomen. Abdomen was found to be find but scan discovered I have a thickening of the lungs. I have to my knowledge not been around any asbestos, I do not smoke. I do have hiatel hernia which I have had surgery on in 2003. It has returned. What could be the cause of my lungs thickening? and can my hernia be repaired again? I cough badly at night and have severe heart burn constantly. The hernia also showed up on the Cat scan. I am on oxygen at night.
I cannot comment on the hernia without evaluation.  If the GERD is returning and worsening, surgical repair of the hernia can be considered.

Injury, infection, tumors, a blood clot, radiation, and some medication side effects can all lead to thickening of the lungs.

A CT-pulmonary angiogram can rule out a clot.  I would consider a bronchoscopy to further evaluate this finding and to rule out some of the aforementioned causes.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, lung thickening was started.