Family Health Expert Forum
Throat infection w/ fever, night sweats, joint ache and tiredness
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Throat infection w/ fever, night sweats, joint ache and tiredness

I started to feel a sore throat about four weeks ago. Four days later, I was immunized for yellow fever. Three days after that, I began taking Malarone. Then I went to Guinea for a week. The right side of my throat got very swollen and I got a fever and tiredness. While I was there I lost my appetite, drank very little water, and lost a lot of weight. I have been getting night sweats, and I have been feeling very tired. I have a sexual partner who began to get night sweats after spending time with me. I have felt some slight pain in my knees a few times since my return, and once during my trip. I went to my doctor to see about my throat and the fever. He prescribed antibiotics and cortizone for what he considered a case of tonsillitis. I took the antibiotics for five days, and the swelling did go down, but it did not go away entirely. A few days ago, I was feeling tired went to the emergency room. They gave me a blood test. My leucocytes are high (12.38), as are poly. neutrophiles (71.4/8839), poly. eosinophiles (2.6/322), poly. basophiles (1.3/161), reserve alcaline (32), and my Reactive C Protein (14.9). My trou anionique is low (7.0). Everything else is within range. I asked for an HIV 1/2 and for a malaria test, but they could not do them. At no point have I had any symptoms of cold or flu. No runny nose, no headache. I would like to know if I can rule out HIV? What could it be? Mono? Rheumatic fever? Strep? I should mention that I have had strep before in the past year.