Family Health Expert Forum
Tightness in Chest

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Tightness in Chest

I'm not sure if this is all in my head or not.  I am a 34 year old female in pretty good shape but about 35 pounds overweight.  Over the last few months I have been getting a tight feeling in my chest (breast area)that comes and goes.  It might last a few minutes or a few hours off and on most everyday.  Nothing triggers it, I can just be sitting down when it happens.  I have been to my gp and then to a second one later and they have done the chest xray's twice and I have had about three eeg's and everything has come back normal.  The only thing my doctor said was that my cholesterol was a little high but not enough for medicine (don't know the number) but my diet could fix it.  I'm not sure where to go from here.  Do you have any ideas what could be causing this or of any more test that I should get run.  I can't imagine having this pain and nothing being wrong.  I don't feel out of breath or weak or anything like that..my pulse always seems to be fine.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
An exercise stress test can be considered to exclude any coronary heart disease.  At age 34, this would be unlikely - but with the high cholesterol, it can be a risk factor.  Once the heart is ruled out, you can then focus on less serious causes.

Such causes can include anxiety, panic attacks, or GI causes of chest pain - such as GERD.  

If the stress test is negative, you can discuss with your PCP treatment for the other causes of chest tightness outlined above.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Have you ever considered to get help from a chiropractor?
Some nerves and /or muscels in the back can trigger discomfort like yours also.I suffered a lot of chestpain , including
problems with breathing which was triggered by muscles in the
back.The chiropractor helped 100 % .
A related discussion, chest pain was started.
A related discussion, retired was started.