Family Health Expert Forum
Transmission of Virus/Disease

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Transmission of Virus/Disease

Yes I admit I can be paranoid about my children but I have a question. My son left his gatorade bottle at a public gym and about 30 minutes later returned and drank the rest of his gatorade. If a stranger drank from it or (i know highly unlikely) put something in it, do I need to be worried about any type of disease/virus transmission (i.e., hiv, hepatitis etc.)? Thanks for understanding that I can be overly concerned. J
It is highly unlikely for HIV to be transmitted via the saliva in this scenario.  Hepatitis can be possible, if in fact someone did take a sip form the cup.  

It is also possible that other viruses can be transmitted - however without knowing who sipped the cup (if it happened at all), it is impossible to tell.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
Kevin,

Is that because the hiv virus can't survive when it hits the air? I also thought hepatitis was difficult to catch by drinking after someone. I assume other viruses can be caught but all are not life-threatening. Thanks for your time.