Family Health Expert Forum
Unknown Fever for 10 days
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Unknown Fever for 10 days

I was wondering what could be the causes of my fever, headache, and neck pain. on 8/11 started running 101 fever. 3 days prior had dental work (temp crown). on 8/12 went to doctor and cbc showed slighly elevated white blood cells 11.5. sed rate showed inflammation - 45. Doc gave 2gram zmax liquid. 0n 8/14 still had fever, headache. Fever as high as 103.5. New cbc showed white blood cells went down to 7. Doc gave levaquin 500mg. started taking on 8/15. Still had steady fever, worse headache (front of head, pain under eyes and neck pain). On 08/17 fever went down to 99.5-101 on average. Headache and neck pain still there. On 8/19 went to ER since still having fever and pain. They did a urine analysis which showed I was dehydrated and gave fluids. Took chest x-ray (normal), ekg (normal except elevated resting heart rate 107). CBC was 8 for white blood cells. Also gave torodal injection and told to take ultracet for pain. on 8/20 woke up 6 hours after ultracet with 117 resting heart rate. went back to doctor and they did another chest x-ray (normal) and ekg (normal), cbc 8.0 white blood cell, sed rate showed a slight increase in inflammation since first test the week prior. Told to finish taking levaquin. Doc compared the x-rays and ekgs to see if there was any difference in case of endocarditis. Doc also took blood to test for blood posioning but won't have results until tuesday. So now it has been 10 days still have a low grade fever 99.5-100.8, still have headache, and neck pain (nobody thinks menningitis (meningitis) neck is flexable). Even though fever is lower I feel worse. So to sum it up - 5 days fever 101-103.5 and 5 days of fever 99.5-101. Any other possiblities? could it be a virus?
could the antiboitic be causing the fever to stick around? I have no other major health problems stomach pain in July and an inflammed small intestine. Biopsies were normal. I haven't had a fever in the last 12 years. Never had one last more then 3-5 days. None of the other family members in house have been sick.