Family Health Expert Forum
What is the cure for Cytomegalovirus?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

What is the cure for Cytomegalovirus?

I have been diagnosed with CMVirus. My symtems are extreme fatigue, stiff joints, swelling of the clavicals, and the worst stiff neck I've ever had. It hurts to take a deep breath and at times I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest. My stomach mussles feel like I have done a thousand sit ups, and periodically I have the sweats. I have become house bound and debilitated with this virus and am becoming very depressed.

I know this virus becomes active once the immune system is weakend. My question is: what can be done, or taken, to give relief to my symtems, how can the immune system be built up and how long does this virus last?
Most cases of CMV in those with a normal immune system have no symptoms and require no therapy.  There are a number of antiviral medications that can be considered - but studies have shown no benefit in those with normal immune systems.  

However, if you aren't getting better, you may want to be tested for HIV - which can certainly compromise the immune system.  If there is any evidence of immunocompromise, an antiviral agent can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b