Family Health Expert Forum
What can be done about scar tissue build-up inside colon

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Due to a car accident, 1969, I had to have major surgery to repair lacerations & punctures to colon. Dr. sez he layed colon on 6' long table & darned colon like darning a sock. I recently had my 1st colonoscopy & it was very painful due to 3/4 of colon filled with scar tissue as well as the scar tissue attaching the colon to the abdominal wall. The smallest pediatric scope was used. All these 37 yrs, I've had to be very careful to get much fiber, but I always look PG cuz the colon always feels full, even with just water, & I drink lotza H2O. I also have low back injuries as a result of accident. I've tried to lose weight, but haven't had much luck other than a few pounds. Could this issue have anything to do with losing weight?
What can I expect to happen as I grow older? Will the colon eventually fill up totally with this scar tissue? Any remedies? I get very uncomfortable bending over since the colon does not move & gets scrunched when I bend forward, but not a great amt. of pain daily, only occasionally. How might this impact other organs nature has placed in the abdominal area? Could they be getting scrunched too? Will I possibly have to wear a bag to collect bodily waste eventually?
Thank you for your insights!
Any surgery of the colon would lead to an increased risk of adhesions and obstruction in the future.  

It would be uncommon for scar tissue to completely block the colon.  If this becomes a problem, there may be surgical options to help improve this.  That being said, there are limited options to treat the scar tissue.  

As for a colostomy (the bag), this is considered when a colectomy (cutting off part of the colon) is done.

These questions can be addressed to your personal surgeon.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, scar tissue in the colon was started.