Family Health Expert Forum
What is known risk?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

What is known risk?

I am female (30 yrs old)and was diagnosed w/ acute hepatitis c 8 years ago. Every website like the center for disease control states there is a small 5% chance of infecting my parter thru sexual contact (monogamous). My question is is this 5% chance per sexual encounter or is it a 5% chance over a period of years?
This is with normal sexual contact with one person.
Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum
If HCV is transmitted during sex, it is likely to be through blood-to-blood contact. This emphasises the need for safe sex practices where there is a risk of blood-to-blood contact during sex:eg. sex when you have cuts or lesions on or close to the genitals, during anal sex, during menstruation, and sexual practices that may involve bleeding or broken skin. Transmission through sexual body fluids is thought to be rare. It is probably more likely to occur when the hepatitis C viral load (the amount of virus circulating in the blood) is extremely high. This occurs during the acute HCV phase (ie. up to six months after infection) or when the immune system is suppressed although it may occur at other times when there is co-infection with HIV or another STD. I would estimate that the value of 5% relates to "over a number of years" vs. "Per contact". While Hepatitis B can be transmitted fairly readily, Hepatitis C is rarely transmitted during sexual intercourse.
I know this is anecdotal, but my husb has had hep c for about 15 years.  We have been married for 8 years, and have never used condoms.  I am hepC neg.  
My doc told me that it is NOT easily transmitted sexually, but many docs still perpetuate that myth.  I believe the risk is slight.  
Good luck!
my hubby is hepc, i am negative we have 2 kids and trying for a 3, it is a blood to blood transmission - just be sure not to have cuts or abraisions during sex
Thank you very much for the feedback....funny how life can bring these situations to light. After 8 yrs of knowing I have this "condition",I am finally recognizing it for what it is and trying not to let it take control of my life. This forum has provided many answers to questions that I (and I'm sure many others w/ hep c) have. I hope that we can all have the courage and strength to fight this individually and together by sharing as much information as possible....again I thank you. Tgirl