Family Health Expert Forum
White 'chunks' forming in throat

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

White 'chunks' forming in throat

For about a year I have had these small white chunks of something forming at the anterior portion of my throat right around the level of the thyroid cartilage. At times they break loose and I can spit them off. Other times I can feel them back there and have to cough or manipulate my mouth in order to break them loose. They smell foul and give a bad taste and I believe it is a source of my occasional halitosis. They are soft and moist but crumble with light pressure. I brush twice a day and use mouthwash which I gargle deeply and brush my tongue.  What is the cause of this and what can I do to get rid of, and prevent them.
Your tonsils have crypts (like deep craters) that trap food and debris.  This debris then decompses and thus can be foul smelling and tasting. When it builds up to a certain point, or you apply pressure to the tonsil, the "tonsiliths" break off.  
The only way to "cure" this is to have the tonsils removed (which can be a very unpleasant surgery to have as an adult).  Gargling after every meal may help to prevent the debris from depositing in the tonsilar crypts.

Good luck,
JMK MD
I get those too.  Thanks for asking that question, its good to finally know what causes those white chunks to appear.