Family Health Expert Forum
Why am I having intense pain on the top of my left foot?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

For the last two weeks, without any injury or apparent reason, I started having extreme pain on the top of my left foot. It starts in the middle of the top of the foot then spreads and deepens in intensity until it is almost unbearable then slowly subsides.  This happens about 4 to 6 times an hour and will wake me up often in the night. At first, when the pain would subside my foot would feel fine, now it aches and hurts all the time to walk - more so right after an 'episode.' The foot looks totally normal, there is no swelling and it seems that if I push on the top of my foot or rub it when the pain is happening that it relieves the pain a tiny bit. It has been consistent and does not seem to lessen or worsen as the days go by but has been consistent for about two weeks now. I did go to our local Urgent Care as I don't have a primary physician (am self-employed) and they didn't have a clue. They want me to go get blood work and an x-ray. They took my temp, did urine and blood checks for sugar. All was fine there and no temp. Otherwise, I feel fine.
Hi Kathie,
I know you are in a difficult situation because you are self employed, but you really should get xrays to rule out a stress fracture.  It is difficult for me to guess at the diagnosis since I cannot examine you.  There are also nerves that innervate the dorsum (top) of your foot that could be getting impinged, so seeing a podiatrist is a good idea, as they will be able to follow you up as needed, rather than seeing someone different at the Urgent Care.
Good luck,
JMK MD
After yrs of feet burning and pain I saw a podatrist. He did an ultrasound of my feet and determined there are neuromas or enlarged nerves in each on of my feet. I also have some mild neuropathy. When he pushed on them in between my toes it really hurt. You may consider seeing one  (podiatrist) cortizone shots or surgery are about the only options but a diagnosis was quick. Good luck!
A related discussion, Unusual skin odors was started.