Family Health Expert Forum
Why have four ex-boyfriends gotten mono after kissing me???

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

I had tested positive for mono my senior year of high school.

In the eight years since, I've had five serious relationships. Four of these boyfriends have come down with mono while in a relationship with me. Two of the four who came down with mono I dated after we had all graduated from college.

Under the assumption none of them were cheating, what are the odds I gave these guys mono? Doctors in the past have told me it is some freakish coincidence, but I am worried 'cause I just started dating a new guy and I don't want him to get mono too!

Any advice or perspective you could provide, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you so much for your time and help!

Tags: mono
Hi there,
This is a tough question in that I can't really give you the "odds" on whether all of these previous boyfriends got the EBV virus from you.  Mono can be contagious for several months after your symptoms are gone, but it is very unlikely that after a year or more you would still be contagious.  I can't say that it is impossible, because you carry the virus with you for life and the virus may become active from time to time without causing any symptoms, during which time it can be spread to others. It seems very unlikely that this has happened in your case on so many occasions.
Regardless, there is not much you can do other than to let your new partner know that you have had mono in the past and there is a small chance that you could pass it on.  However, most adults don't get mono, because they are already immune.

Good luck,
JMK MD