Family Health Expert Forum
Worrying!! Any ideas plz?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Worrying!! Any ideas plz?

My 4 yrs nephew's the first child in his family (with a one-yr brother). He is having a strange habit: Whenever he feels asleep, he holds somene's finger(as if playing with it) & moving his mouth as if sucking something or eating with his mouth closed. His eyes closed tight. Then he feels relaxed, stops, & sleeps. 

This habit's started since he was 8 months; even when breast fed, he did so!!

We don't understand why is that?  It's worrying!

How can we stop this habit?? Any techniques or ideas plz?

Thanks in advance
5614495_tn?1371832804
This is really common for kids to have and can be comforting to them, particularly before falling asleep. It’s not something to worry about in itself, but the main concern is his long-term tooth health.

Be reassured that most kids will grow out of this with no intervention. You may want to try introducing some alternative bedtime comforting habits for him: singing, playing a game, giving him a stuffed animal, or some other ritual.

He’s four, so may also be old enough to understand some of the reasoning behind why you don’t want him to suck on his thumb - you could try explaining it to him.

But don’t worry too much, he will likely outgrow it soon!
2 Comments
Blank
Thanks a lot my dear. Your answer really helped..
I really appreciate it..

Wishing you all the very best,
Regards
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979