Family Health Expert Forum
achey throat - canker sores?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

achey throat - canker sores?

I have had a throatache for about a week. A few days ago I got a large canker sore (i think it is) on the inside of my lip. Then, I have lots of little ones on my gums and next to my teeth and it feels like on my tongue. What is happening?? I can't see a doctor until Tuesday. It really looks like a canker sore and if it is, is it contagious? Is this somehow linked to my sore throat? I am extremely stressed out at my job and I think this may make it even worse.
Difficult to say without examination.  

Regarding the sore throat - you may want to be evaluate for infections like strep throat.  Viral causes, GERD, and post-nasal drip can also lead to a sore throat.

About the sores in your gums.  One considerations would be gingival herpes.  This needs to be looked at by your personal physician.  If this is the case, antiviral treatment can be considered.  Stress can certainly play a role if herpes is the case.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b