Family Health Expert Forum
alcohol and body temp

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

alcohol and body temp

Whenever I consume any type or amount of alcohol, I get very red in the face and seem to get very warm. I am not much of a drinker, but occasionally I enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail. This has gotten worse and more pronounced as I have gotten older. Is this a potentially dangerous condition or just a minor inconvenience?
Flushing with alcohol is not an uncommon symptom.  This can be due to skin disorders like rosacea, or as the side effects of some medications.

Another possibility is the levels of alcohol dehydrogenase in the body.  The levels and activity of this enzyme differs in women and in Asians, leading them to be more affected by alcohol

These considerations can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
Juts to add to this. This happens to my brother but only when he Drinks hard liquor and he also gets a slight rash, but it all occurs on his face and neck.
There are two endocrine disorders that have some affiliations with what you present here, namely one called Carcinoid. The other is Pheochromocytoma. I'm not a medical doc, however, so I'm quite sure that Dr. Pho would've known whether or not that would've been an issue for you. He's a good guy on here.

Another interesting possibility is the phenomenon known as a "Sulfite sensitivity/allergy." Several claim to be allergic to sulfites. Several alledge that this condition has some connections to a disruption with Thiamine and/or Molybdenum in the system. Whether or not lactic acid may be a player in something like that, I don't know. Others believe that it's an oxidation issue that may involve the copper and iodine levels in the system.

Personally, for those that have ever studied hops (In beer), I there's a lot of interesting things that you can find in that area, too, especially when you're talking about rashes popping up, etc.

Good luck to you.