armpit lump
about 5 days ago I felt tenderness in my right armpit, I felt for lumps then and did not feel any.  2 and 1/2 days ago I again felt tenderness and slight pain in my right armpit and immediately noticed a small lump( size of a chic pea ) .  I went to my general practioner and after he examined me, he said it was a cyst and that it would probably go away on its's own.  He said that using an antiobotic would make it go away sooner, he prescribed Keflex 500mg twice per day.  I have been taking the antibiotic for 2 days now, and the pain is gone, but the lump is still there and I can not tell if it has decreased in size but I think it is the same.  I am concerned because it has not gone away like the tenderness has.  I was wondering if I should get a second opinion to make sure it is not a type of cancer?, or does it takes a while for the cyst to go away even though the slight pain has gone?.  Can a cyst stay there always? I have 3 small children who need me and I am sick with worry that it can be serious.  I am 34 years old, and otherwise healthy but not patient at all.

Thank you for visiting the family practice forum.
A couple of things. Firstly, cancers such as lymph node cancer (lymphoma) are typically NOT painful and would NOT improve with antibiotics. I would agree that it sounds like you are dealing here with a cyst (sebaceous cyst) and if it does not fully clear at the end of the course of antibiotics, you need to get a biopsy done. However, my gut feeling here is that your doctor's treatment is right on. It may take a week or more for an infected/irritated sebaceous cyst to fully clear once treatment has begun.
A few years ago, my sister had a VERY similar swelling in her armpit.  After a visit to her dermatologist, she found she was allergic to something in the deodorant.  She switched to a natural deodorant in the health food store, and that solved her problem fast.
I am a 28 year old, mother of two.  A week and a half ago I noticed a lump in my armpit the size of a grape.  It is not painful.  I saw my OBGYN who put me on antibiotics for a week to see if it could be due to an infection.  I finished my antibiotic yesterday.  Noticed the lump has gotten larger.
It seems to be a large lump with a slightly smaller one attached.
It does seem to roll around slightly when you press it.  I don't think this is a swollen lymph node, again it's not tender.  I see my Dr. again in two days to see if we should proceed with a biopsy.  Has anyone experienced these symptoms before and what was the outcome?
I've had a lump in my arm pit for a long time. It does'nt hurt or anything and I've always been scared to get myself examined...so now i decided that instead of playing ostrich i shhould discuss it with someone n found this website the best platform. the lump is the size of a ping pong ball...i'm scared of telling anyone about it and seeing a dr...any similar cases out there if yes what did you do?
A related discussion, lumps under the arm pits was started.