Family Health Expert Forum
armpit lump

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

armpit lump

about 5 days ago I felt tenderness in my right armpit, I felt for lumps then and did not feel any.  2 and 1/2 days ago I again felt tenderness and slight pain in my right armpit and immediately noticed a small lump( size of a chic pea ) .  I went to my general practioner and after he examined me, he said it was a cyst and that it would probably go away on its's own.  He said that using an antiobotic would make it go away sooner, he prescribed Keflex 500mg twice per day.  I have been taking the antibiotic for 2 days now, and the pain is gone, but the lump is still there and I can not tell if it has decreased in size but I think it is the same.  I am concerned because it has not gone away like the tenderness has.  I was wondering if I should get a second opinion to make sure it is not a type of cancer?, or does it takes a while for the cyst to go away even though the slight pain has gone?.  Can a cyst stay there always? I have 3 small children who need me and I am sick with worry that it can be serious.  I am 34 years old, and otherwise healthy but not patient at all.

Thank you for visiting the family practice forum.
A couple of things. Firstly, cancers such as lymph node cancer (lymphoma) are typically NOT painful and would NOT improve with antibiotics. I would agree that it sounds like you are dealing here with a cyst (sebaceous cyst) and if it does not fully clear at the end of the course of antibiotics, you need to get a biopsy done. However, my gut feeling here is that your doctor's treatment is right on. It may take a week or more for an infected/irritated sebaceous cyst to fully clear once treatment has begun.
A few years ago, my sister had a VERY similar swelling in her armpit.  After a visit to her dermatologist, she found she was allergic to something in the deodorant.  She switched to a natural deodorant in the health food store, and that solved her problem fast.
I am a 28 year old, mother of two.  A week and a half ago I noticed a lump in my armpit the size of a grape.  It is not painful.  I saw my OBGYN who put me on antibiotics for a week to see if it could be due to an infection.  I finished my antibiotic yesterday.  Noticed the lump has gotten larger.
It seems to be a large lump with a slightly smaller one attached.
It does seem to roll around slightly when you press it.  I don't think this is a swollen lymph node, again it's not tender.  I see my Dr. again in two days to see if we should proceed with a biopsy.  Has anyone experienced these symptoms before and what was the outcome?
I've had a lump in my arm pit for a long time. It does'nt hurt or anything and I've always been scared to get myself examined...so now i decided that instead of playing ostrich i shhould discuss it with someone n found this website the best platform. the lump is the size of a ping pong ball...i'm scared of telling anyone about it and seeing a dr...any similar cases out there if yes what did you do?
A related discussion, lumps under the arm pits was started.