Family Health Expert Forum
babies and cold sore transmission

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

babies and cold sore transmission

I have a 12 month old baby who was recently (I think) potentially exposed to the HSV-1 virus.

A relative with a known history of cold sores fed her from her own fork not once, but twice after eating off of it herself. I, unfortunately, was not quick enough to intervene.  

She did not have an active lesion on that day, but is our baby still at risk of catching it because of viral shedding?????

Is this significant enough to call her doctor about??

She is still breastfeeding 4-5 times per day.  

Please help, thank you.
If there has been an exposure to a cold sore, then there may be viral shedding and a possibility of transmission.

If a lesion becomes present, you may want to bring the baby in to the pediatrician.  A Tzanck smear or viral culture can be done on an active lesion to confirm the diagnosis.

Without evaluating the patient, I would always recommend discussing this issue with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com