Family Health Expert Forum
been feeling woozy, like partially drunk, eyes also feel funny.

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

It all started about 2 months ago. I can remember looking up while tearing down a wall at work (not too hard of work for me).
It was a simple task.. it was the looking all around, high and low that made me feel funny.

My eyes felt dry and tired, and I felt woozy. I went home for the day and after a while the feeling wore off.. especially after going to sleep.

Then the next few weeks on and off I started feeling funny again.

Description:
Like when you are REAL tired and your eyes are dry, ADD the feeling of intoxication (like after a small buzz). Kind of like when you drink a bit and feel the buzz, and feel woozy but you can still walk, talk, drive, everything.. it just doesn't feel 100% real - if i focus it is a little better.

Looking and doing things makes it worse. I have seen the term Cloudy Sensorium and that kind of describes me.
The feeling I am not me completely. Drunken.

I feel like i am cloudy and slightly confused. If I sit still and look at one thing it kind of helps.. like when you get drunk and do stuff it is worse but still there all the time.

I tried sleeping, eating well, ignoring it, took many tests:

CT scan of head - GOOD,
CT of sinuses and neck (due to an enlarged node *dont know for sure and results not back yet) that doesn't hurt - is just there - NO INFO YET.

Lots of bloodwork, and tests for diseases like hepatitis, HIV, syphilis, etc. - ALL GOOD

Any ideas where to go with this now?? I FEEL THIS ALL DAY EVERYDAY NOW.

P.S. Had 1 eye Iritis also, took steroid drops but b4 this
There are a variety of conditions that can cause your symptoms.  Any type of thyroid, rheumatological, neurological or viral disease can be the cause.

I would test your thyroid, for Epstein-Barr virus (i.e. mononucleosis), ANA level, rheumatoid factor, blood count, liver function tests and metabolic panel.  This would be a reasonable approach to screen for most of the more common diseases.

If those tests are not revealing, you may want to consider a referral to a specialist - for instance a neurologist or rheumatologist.  A brain and neck MRI/MRA study can be considered for a more detailed imaging evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Also have had EKG, and Corotid ultrasound test and they both came back GOOD.

It is not a vertigo, dizzy feeling, but my eyes feel tired and looking around and moving around makes it worse.

Now that I am thinking about it, what brought it on again the next time was moving all around cleaning the house. Picking up things, turning around to put things here and there.

Afterwards though the feeling would go away after a few hours or rest. Now it there everyday, from morning to sleep.. the first few days i felt it i thought i was just tired, so i slept and slept for days (the weekend).

I have been having this for I would say 2 weeks straight now, with no relief.

I am not on any medications but have taken Reglan, Lipitor, Nexium, Levaquin, Hydrocodone (dorvacet), and even Docycline.
However I don't recall taking this and then feeling something afterwards unless these drugs could have caused long term effects.

All meds were prescribed for my different problems with stomach, cholesterol, car accident, and prostatitis;other probs.
Silverstanger:

I'm currently suffering from a "drunk feeling" that sounds similar to what you describe.  It started in July '03 and progressively turned worse.  I had the same tests you had done and a few more (EEG, MRI, stress echo, bloodwork on thyroid, et al).  Everything turned out peachy.  Also, I've been to cardiologists, neurologists, and endocronologists.  None of them have a clue as to what it is.  To this day, I still feel "drunk" and after a boat load of money spent, all I've seem to got out of it is a bunch of "I dunno's" (literally<--I was furious when the neurologist said that the first time).  So, I can completely sympathize with your situation.  Hopefully, you'll find out what it is and if you do, please drop me a line.  And if I find anything out, I'll do the same.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Corey Meredith
papa_cap***@****
you could possibly have migraines or it could be due to muscle tension in your neck...the muscles estend into your head  and when one is tight it can affect your eyes and ears...maybe a massage therapist would help
it could be something to do with muscle tension in your neck...many of the muscles in your neck extend up inside your head...when they get tight they can pull and cause off balance feelings, eye sensations etc...maybe a massage therapist is in order...just a thought
oops sorry about the repeat info...when i was on today my last message didnt show up so i thought it didnt go thru....after i posted this one, the one i wrote 2 days ago came on at the same time..
Thanks ozark for the advice.

PapaCap
I have had the same exact symptoms for over a month now.  My doctor has diagnosed me with "Viral Labyrinthitis" (inflamed inner ear).  This virus usually follows an upper respiratory infection.  The infection spreads to the inner/middle ear and causes an inflammation that takes months to go away.  You could also have an ear infection or fluid build-up in your ears caused by allergies. Since your inner ear is where balance/equilibrium is controlled, I would bet that this is your problem.  Particulary since I have the same symptoms as you.  My doctor has prescribed meclizine (for dizziness) and nasocort (to help open the Eustachian tube and release fluid in the ear).  Your medical doctor can examine your ears to see the status of your ear drums (mine are retracted right now), or you can go to an Ear,Nose,& Throat specialist to have them take a look and see if that might be the problem.  Good luck to you.
I have found that I'm not alone with this dizzy feeling which I have had since June 2003. Have had numerous tests; bone scan, skull scan, CT scan of sinuses, blood tests. Went to an ENT last November; everything checked out okay. Now I am going to have more blood tests next week and a 24 hr urine collection done.  Will be seeing an endrocronologist; sure hope he finds something. It is so hard staring at a computer at work all day when my head is spinning. Especially when I move my head back and forth. Even went to a chiropractor; he did all he could do; he did not feel my dizziness was related to anything with my neck. I can't understand why these doctors can't find anything when were spending all this time and money on them!
I used to have similiar syptoms (symptoms) as you and I would take a ClaritanD and the feeling would go away.  The feeling progressivly got worse and the claritan stopped working.  Now  its more like a pressure in my head along with the "Drunk" feeling.  My hypothesis is that I get it becuase of my allergies to mold, amonst other things.  Is it possible that the wall you were tearing down was moldy.  With allergies, what can happen, especially mold, once you are exposed to a concentrated source, your body becomes hypersensitive to it.  Just a thought, you might want to try the claritan, to see if its allergies.  If it is allergies you do not want to keep taking the claritan as I did, because your body willnot fight anymore and the problem becomes more deeply rooted.  Vitamin C is always a very good thing  to take as well, it really helps me.  
Hope you figure it all out..good luck
I have read all these post and certainly can relate

except to the exstent that besides feeling drunk or high I also have the rest of the symptoms as if drinking or drugs but I don't drink nor ccan i take many drugs
I have seen neuroligists hemotologist cadiologist had have mri eegs catscans test fo seizures the only things so far is I have ITP (low platelettes) and another one I forget the name My platelettes clump together.
I also have much trouble with coordinaation (such as this typing in which i used to be good at) my left side of my body will go numb at times and my legs just go out from under me, I can not drive because i forget what i am doing had accident ..but last time i drove seriously i got lost and was two miles from where I was supposed to be going and had no recolection how i got there
My legs feel very heavy and i get wore out easy it started about five years ago and slowly has been getting worse
I just want something for the doctors to look for
I have tried with out success to get them to test me for nickle copper zinc aluminum and other metal poisonings cause i was a metal finisher at a plating compony for fifteen years.
the blackouts got so bad that first i was removed from polishing metals to another dept but got so bad we decided to move down south cause winters are worse on this condition i have
but before i could quit work they asked me to quit for my own safty
is there anything out there that fits this description???
please respond
dave
Hi - I, too, have experienced this really weird feeling. It started out as a very nasty case of vertigo in 2003. Went to my ENT who thought I had BPPV but did a test which came back negative. He said he could find nothing out of the ordinary, brain function was fine, etc. Still continued to feel woozy, dry eyed, VERY tired,  and sometimes experienced a nasty headache with nausea. The weird part of all of this is the fact that it is not everyday! Seems to come and go a few times a week. Finally got so disgusted I went to my GP who ran a major blood test (4 VIALS! ) and told me everything was normal with the exception of my c-reactive protein which is elevated. Whatever that means. She scheduled me for an MRA tomorrow. I hope someone can figure this out because I am really tired of feeling like this. Any new developments with anyone else who is posting here?
Hi there everyone.  I have exactly the same symptoms mentioned in the original post.  I have been dealing with this for two years now and still don't know what it is.  It went away for a while and now i have been feeling worse than ever for the past month.  No one has ever been able to tell me what is wrong with me and have done almost all the test everyone has mentioned here.  I am scheduled for a CT Scan today and hopefully i'll get some answers but can't be sure.  I'm seriously about to quit my job.  I can't look at the computer anymore.  I'm also exhausted from the moment i wake up to the moment i go to sleep at night.  Right now i'm on anti-depressants for depression from all this.  I have my days when i just stay in bed for days because i don't want to be awake feeling this way.  The worst part is to see so many others suffering from something similar wihtout answers.  I'm at my wits end.
Dear Silverstranger,

I would really like to discuss this further with you.  You seem to have the exact same symptoms that I do.  Please let me know how I can contact you.
Ok all with the drunk feeling..
I just had another MRI, and this time the tech kept asking questions like "heve you had an operation on your head..any implants...ear operation..." and then told me there was an artifact found in the MRI.. OK so i then see my doctor for the results...he tells me there is an abnormality on my cerabellum...if it wasn't for the fact that i am having trouble with musle coordination and motor skills it would have been mark up as insignificant...I see another nueroligist in june.. I will try to give my results in an effort to help all here who are having similar problems..
this has disabled me and i have lost my job and the ability to do normal tasks this typing is a chore cause the consitration involved is horrendous can't remember how to spell simple words..
any way will get back later
dizzydave
Omg, so glad I found this link. Been feeling woozy, a bit drunk etc. for the last few weeks and have convinced myself I have CJD or something terrible. Now I realize I am not the only one with this and this is probably not the case. Have university exams coming up and just can't seem to concentrate to revise. I had a sinus infection a while ago which didn't really clear up so perhaps this is linked. I am also diabetic.  My eyesight has been getting worse and I am going to the optician tomorrow so hopefully this will relieve the feeling. I really hope so. I am quite worried about this whole thing, the feeling is just so horrible and annoying :-(
I have been having the same symtoms (symptoms) going on 2 years. Been to several different doctors, neurologists, accupunturists and chiropractors. Mostly been told I don't know or its depression. Recently when doing some research I found a site talking upper cervical disorders. Fortunately for me one of the top doctors in this field is in my town. I scheduled an appointment and a scan with one of her tools showed the bones near my brain stem were out of alignment. She believes getting these back in alignment will help. After my first visit I had 3 of the best days I had in 2 years. Then the symtoms (symptoms) came back. Sure enough after another scan I was out of alignment again. She told me that it sometime takes 1 -2 months for your body to completely heal and keep the alignment. I am cautiously optimistic this will eventually cure me. Just wanted to pass this along since my symptoms were are so similiar to everyone posting here. If anyone wants to contact me directly that is fine. My address is ***@****.
Helloe im 13 and i just yesterday this happend to me it scared the **** out of my legs felt heavey when i went to sit down and it felt like i wasent controlling my body like i was drunk every thing felt hazy and when i stared at one thing it would help,this happend tome agian i thought was just a one time thing but nope im gonna so if it will happen tommorow i hope it wont tho its a scary feeling if anybody has any feedback for me please help
Posted here other day about my drunk feeling. Well I went to the doctors today and he thinks my drunken feeling is due to stress of my university exams. It is due to loss of REM sleep.

I had no idea it might be due to this, but thinking about it, the drunken feeling first started when I started revising.  REM sleep is the part of sleep which consolidates your mental state, so this is logical.  Anyway he has prescibed me an antidepressant, which has the side effect of increasing REM sleep, so if this is the case, it should work.  

Has anyone ever heard of this sort of treatment before?  At least the doc seemed to know what I feel like as he said its how junior doctors feel after a 72 hour shift and no sleep?!
Hi Everyone,

I have also had this weird feeling/s in my body the past couple of days. Had the flu a week or so ago, so I don't know whether this is in some way related to it. I have this drunk/stange/dizzy feeling in my head from the moment I wake up in the morning, but it seems to get less later in the day. Also have had head-aches almost every day, not bad ones, but just enough to be annoying.

If anyone knows what this could be or have had the same type of symptoms, then please reply if you can.
Hi everyone,after months of searching i've found people with the same symptoms as me!! For a year now i've been stuck in this world which doesn't feel real.My head feels numb,my eyesight just isn't right.I feel drunk or stoned or wasted.I feel like a video camera rather than a person.I can't believe I have to live like this.Other people havn't mentioned this,but has anybody lost the ability to picture things in their head? I have,but it took a long time to realise it.
I've been for blood tests for metal poisoning which were okay,I've been to the eye specialist,I have perfect vision i was told,when clearly I don't.None of the lenses he tried on me made any difference.
And most recently an MRI.Which I've been informed over the phone is fine but the doctor wants to see me next week.
It would be good if some of you who posted earlier came back & posted again to let everyone know how you got on.My email address is various.***@**** if anyone wants to talk.

I have been frantically searching for help.  For months, I have been feeling as through I am high or drunk, with a feeling that my eyesight is failing me.

When this first started, it was not as bad but the sensation has increased.  I have seen my primary doctor, a allergist, and cardiologist (forgive my spelling).

I have had some elevated blood pressure, was put on small doses of medicine for it, but the medicines were always to strong and so I was taken off.  Thinking that maybe I am not getting enough blood to my brains.

I have also experienced irregular heart beating and have had two stress test, but it is the common form that I have and I am told, it is not life threatening.

I was put on medicine to control that but the dizziness never improved and so I thought was contributing and was advised to weight my options and if the medicine made me feel bad to stop.  I did and still the feeling presisted without letting up at all.

Last year, I lived in a cold, damp, moldy house for a few months before moving my family out.  Since then, when I catch colds, I develop this harsh cough which does not go away.  It literally, has ruined my life.  The only thing to seem to have help stop the cough was steroid.

I dread cold and flu season.  This last time, I went to an allergist who tested me, but he said there was no test for household molds.  After reading your comments, I am wondering if there could be some connection

I feel a little better that I am not alone, but I am still very concerned that none of us are getting to root of this thing.

I must work, but find that I am not as active as I once was.  When I walk the sensation is greater and it never lets up.  I tell my husband that I feel as though I have been drinking, only without the booze.

Do you think it could be upper respiratory related?  This seems to make sense.  

My eyes have been troubling me as well.  I only have to wear glasses only for reading and computer, but I look at the world as if I am in a tunnel, or glass maybe a bubble.  I am constantly saying I need to have my eyes recheck.  I feel like I am losing my vision, yet I see but everything looks strange.

Please offer some advices!

charleen.blount.***@****
Is this forum still open.
I am experiencing the drunk feeling, heavy achy legs and tunnel vision perception. It has gotten worse since Oct. 03.  Any new insights on this?
Hi All, I'm amazed to of found so many people having the same problems. I too have been have problems with dizziness, heavy numb feeling in my legs and arms, I've seen a ton of doctor and also spent two weeks at Mayo clinic the only diagnosis they have come up with is migraines, but the medication they have put me on for migraines has only partially helped.  I fould a great neur that I just started seeing. It took me three months to get an appointment. I'm going to get a lumbar punch next week, I'm very anxious to see if this shows anything else.  Would love to hear if anyone else has been diagnosed differently. Thanks!
I too have the same symptoms everyone else has described. Mine is from thyroid trouble. The drunken heavy headed feeling was worse before I started on the thyroid medicine. Sinus trouble and exposure to mold make the symptoms worse. Also sleep deprivation magnifies all of the above symptoms including your body temperature that is hypersensitive. And if anyone takes thyroid medicine beware of the generic versions of thyroid medicines that can make the symptoms worse including heart palpitations and shortness of breath. Weird middle of the night headaches that come on fast with nausea almost like a pulsing pain like blood pressure is out of wack. And also buzzing sensation in the head when I lay down to sleep and never getting more than a few hours of sleep at a time.   Sal20
New forum just started,as this this one appears to be closed.

http://woozyfeeling.proboards28.com/
<a href="http://woozyfeeling.proboards28.com/">http://woozyfeeling.proboards28.com/</a>
Dear Dr. Pho, I have four suggestions on what the diagnosis might be for these symptoms.  I am not a doctor but had two friends with similar symptoms (which sounds more like the description of an 'aura' which I have been told can occur before a migraine or convulsions) who had four different illnesses.  One friend had to undergo a triple bipass.  When he exhibited the same symptoms as all the above posters his doctor ordered a stress test, which he failed, and then he was given an angiogram which showed the blockage.  
The second friend, who also exhibited the same symptoms, was diagnosed with advanced Lyme disease which had affected him neurologically.  He was put on an intravenous course of antibiotics and has since fully recovered.
A third friend, who again exhibited similiar symptoms, was diagnosed with an inner ear infection.  After treatement she has since recovered.  
Finally, I myself have exhibited such symptoms and after numerous test that came up negative, it was established that stress was causing the problem.  Once I rectified the situation, (which in my case entailed quitting a high stress job) the symptoms have since disappeared.  
I think the above cases can show that there is no silver bullet or one size fits all treatment and that only the vigilance of a good doctor can make the proper diagnosis.  
  okay, so I have had these symptoms for the last month too. but I thought mine was a side effect to medication I have been taking for epilepsy.  been on the medication now for 4-5 years, so I thought it weird to just now being having problems with it.  So on my own I removed 1 medication that I was taking, then when it didn't work i started taking it again and trying the other one.  I never worked.  So I thought maybe I was just stressing and this drunk thing would go away.   I kept it to mysel cause everone woulf have looked at me funny.
  BUT..... Now my boyfreind of 9 years called me from work yesterday and told me to cancel all our plans for the night because he is now feelng off.  Well when he got home he discribed the same feeling I have been feeling for the past month with one adittion, one leg is numb or tinglly.  I am wondering if this could be some kind of bug. Mono?  environmental poisening? gas leakage? food contamination?
  Have any of you had family that also had this drunk thing going on too?  He thinks he had a small stroke...MEN!

You can also get that drunk feeling if you have chemical sensitivities.

hello everyone, my name is frank .... i have this woozy feeling also and it lasts me about 10 days (average) but it IS actually triggered by drinking alcohol.... when i drink, i get durnk really easily (i guess its just low tolerance) but then i continue to feel greatly buzzed for the next 10 days.... can anyone tell me what is wrong with me!?
As a medical professional myself, your comments were not only coherent but very astute.  I too have suffered for over 10 years with similar symptoms to all of the above postings.  Numerous blood tests, MRI's, Cat Scans, Stress Tests, etc. have only made my physicians envious of my "good health".  My episodic bouts are usually weekly and consist of feeling brain fog, tiredness, wooziness and fatigue.  Presycopal  feelings and optic diplopia are also common features.  I also have an increased sense of unbalance and unease during these attacks.  Every test, including Lyme, has ruled out anything abnormal.  Antihistamines, alcohol, benzodiazepines, antidepressants, antimigraines, all do not help me.  I do manage to stay extremely physically fit by force of will rather than by feeling well.  Good luck to everyone trying to find an answer.
nz
A related discussion, drunk feeling was started.
A related discussion, woozy head feeling was started.
A related discussion, Chronic dizziness was started.
A related discussion, Its 2009 was started.
A related discussion, Toxic Mold was started.
A related discussion, feeling drunk tierd dizzy funny was started.
A related discussion, I feel awful.. and im scared was started.
I'm wondering if anyone has figured out what is causing this sensation. I have had a similar feeling for 5 months now. It all started after a bad respiratory infection.

I have pressure in my face and ears, minor vision issues and constan fatigue and a disconnected / slightly drunk feeling. I've been to a number of doctors in different specialty areas with no resolution to the problem.

I keep hoping it goes away on it's own. It may be residual effects from a viral infection but 5 months seems like a long time for this feeling to linger.

For better or worse, I've been reading message board postings of people with similar issues. None of them seem to offer success stories. Although people who post on these types of boards may be a small subset of people and/or those who have recovered have not posted.

Any insight or possible treatments is greatly appreciated.
A related discussion, food additive azodicarbonamide effets was started.
A related discussion, state of drunkenness since 2005 was started.