Family Health Expert Forum
blood spots under skin
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

blood spots under skin

I noticed spots on both my hips last night.  They are patches of blood under the skin spots.  They are bigger than the pinhead ones you hear about.  I wondered if this is something that needs to be checked out or if I can just wait.  I have never had these before. They are in an area about the size of a fist.  I thought it strange that they are on both hips.

Wondered if any of the following could cause these:
Extremely hot bath??  
Straining hard because constipated?
Effexor (take 25mg a day for hot flashes)
Advair (for minor asthma)
Also last time at doctor my blood pressure was higher for me. Usually very good (120-70).  This last time it was 136-84.

Thanks for your help.  I just didn't know whether or not to be concerned about these spots.
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Tough to say without examination.  Things to consider would be a bruise or a bleed.  If you are taking any blood thinning medications (i.e. Coumadin or warfarin) that would make the risk of bleeding higher.  

There are also some blood disorders that can be considered leading to the blood spots.  

I would have this evaluated by a physician.  Tests like a complete blood count as well as coagulation studies can be reasonable initial tests to determine if there is a clotting disorder.

This can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
Blank
I have these little blood spots like pin dots on my fingers.  They started on my left hand (not under the nail) your palm side.  They started on the soft tip part like little cluster of dots and they were on four fingers.  They felt like little splinters at times when brushed against something.  Well they started going down my fingers and now they are going to my right hand.  They are little blood pin dots sore sometimes and some of them are raised slightly.  Do you have any clue to what this may be or if should go see a Dr. and if so what kind of DR?   Your time is much appreciated.
Thanks,
sidekick
Blank
I also have small freckle like clusters of blood spots. I used to only get a little cluster of them on my shoulder when I would carry something heavy on my shoulder, they would be there for maybe a day and then they would be gone. But now about four days a go my wife had about five of these little freckle like clusters of blood under her left eye, after a few days they turned to a more brown color and looked more like a freckles and then a few days later went away. But then she got a new patch on her bicep skin and then a day later got another patch on her skin right where her neck meets her chest. Then the next day we both noticed I have a patch of them on the skin on the top of my foot close to my toes. I have no idea why we would both have these.
Blank
A related discussion, Finger bleeding was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank