Family Health Expert Forum
burning painful soles of feet

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

burning painful soles of feet

I have previously requested information from you re this "continuing" complaint. It started 5 1/2 years ago whilst wading in rock pool (ankle deep) searching for shells etc. there had been heavy rain for couple of weeks before the holiday, and it is common knowledge that lakes immediately behind these popular beaches get polluted and there are warning signs regarding this. but as the weather was so beautiful the week we were there, many were surfing. during that week I noticed my feet were swollen and slightly painful, but not enough to need visit to a doctor. it was not till driving home a week later that the pain and itching became almost unbearable. I realise now I should have gone straight to the hospital nearby, but decided to wait for couple of days till my gp could see me. I suggested that I thought it was due to an infection from pool, but he made little of it, and prescribed anti hystamine and cream to apply.(I have always thought it should have been an antibiotic instead).
A couple of hours after the medication, my husband and I noticed red circles of fresh bright red blood about 1 inch across on my instep. also there was a purple spot on instep of other foot. it seemed obvious that some kind of parasite had infected my feet in the rock pool. my gp thought I was over reacting, and was reluctant to suggest further treatment. with the exception of a triple heart bypass 10 yrs ago and a hysterectomy one yr later, my general health is good. as the burning and pain in soles have not abated, except for recent treatment with acupuncture this past year. I have been to 2 vascular specialists, the first advised gen.circulation in legs were good, except for feet, and 6 months ago another vas. spec. advised injection in lower back to numb just the soles. it seems bit drastic. but as I am in mid seventies, and husband is on kidney dialysis, this never ending pain is really getting me down as I am so busy. I look and feel so well in every other way. it is much worse in evenings when tired. Now I am developing gout like pain in left big toe. I realise it is all the circulation slowing down but I am certain it all began with the parasites. I had never had any signs of foot problems before. Do you think I should suggest to vascular surgeon next visit if he could put some kind of artery/vein bypass in legs to improve circulation in feet. have tried all kinds of herbal and miracle cures, supportive stockings etc, but nothing has worked.  I would hate to end my days complaining to all and sundry about this continuing saga, as I look so well for my age, I get no sympathy. Looking forward to your advice. DESPERATE!!
The easiest way to determine if there is adequate bloodflow is if there is pulses that can be detected in the feet.  This should have been performed by your previous physicians.  If so, then it is unlikely that poor circulation is the cause of your problems.  However, if you want to completely exclude the possibility of a vascular problem, a vascular surgery referral would be the next step.  Non-invasive tests can be done to confirm this.

Instead of the vascular route, you may want to consider a neurological evaluation.  Electrodiagnostic testing can evaluate whether there is any nerve damage that may be present.  Treatment for possible peripheral neuropathy can be discussed.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Many thanks for your quick response. my new g p agrees with your advice, and I have appointment with specialist for eletrodiagnostic testing in 3 weeks time. at time of sending off the email to you, the pain in feet was quite severe, but must admit that after the accupunture next day, it almost disappeared. but whilst having it, the needles in feet hurt more than usual. but it was worth it. hopefully this new testing will bring about a way to relieve me of this "silly" complaint once and for all. if only I had not gone walking along that beach that week. will advise you of any further treatment I may have. many thanks.
a friend of mine has a simple home recipe i would like to share with you-
whenever she has something growing on her feet,say fungus,she soaks her feet in salt water,and she will do this every day for 7-10 days and the problem goes away.
to make salt water,she just pours table salt in some hot water in a foot basin.
thank you Yoshi. at this stage the only relief I do get is by soaking my feet in cold water, usually when more painful when circulation slows up at end of day. but I will take you advice and add the salt. yesterday the chemist suggested tube of ointment used for chilblains, as it contained more anaesthetic than other creams. must admit it did help considerably. thank you for your interest.
A related discussion, painful patches on litle feet was started.
A related discussion, burning feet soles was started.