Family Health Expert Forum
chronic cough and rash

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

chronic cough and rash

My 21 months old started having a dry cough on May 25th. 2 weeks later, it turned into a wet cough. A few days later, he had a rash on his left cheek, then on the right. Now the rash is on his arms, chest and back. He does not have fever, eats well, is active. Bowl movement normal. Chest X-ray is normal except that lungs are inflated (his pediatrician said he probably took a deep breath). He thinks it is a virus but does not know what virus. He also thinks it is RAD but does not know if it is caused by the rash. Can you please help? What is going on? When will this cough subside? They tell us to wait and to do humidifier/asthma medication for a few days. But it has been more than a month now that this is going on.

My son does not cough frequently, but when he does it sounds like very congested lungs. He does not have a lot of mucus from his nose, when it does it is mostly transparent, sometimes greenish. He does have heavy breathing, however. Cough and heavy breathing do not seem to have a specific daily or nighly pattern.

If you can help me with the possible diagnoses and specialists that I can take him to, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.
It is difficult to say without examination.  A viral exanthem can be considered if the testing remains negative.  This may lead to the cough as well as a rash.  

If the cough is not improving despite antibiotics and appropriate treatment, you can consider a referral to a pulmonary specialist to evaluate for more common causes.  A CT scan can be considered for further evaluation.  

If the rash continues without a revealing diagnosis, a referral to a dermatologist can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
it sounds like a sinus infection...especially with the green mucous(even tho it's clear it could be blocked and it's dripping down the back of his throat causing the cough)...he should have a sinus ct or xrays to rule it out....good luck