Family Health Expert Forum
constant feeling of chilliness without fever

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

i had prostatitis diagnosed in july,i have a history of kidney stones, had a cystoscopy that was normal end of july(wondering if cyctoscopy could have caused infection),4 weeks later got a fever ,headache dry then wet cough, lethergy,went to emergency room mid-sept., diagnosed with pneumonia(they think atypical)stayed in hospital for 5 days resolved the pneumonia,but one thing that has stayed with me from august to now(oct.28)is this persistent feeling of chillines deep inside that does not go away (without any significant fever, maybe the most 99.3 on occasion with ear thermom.)and outside temperature has no effect on. prior to this i was always more of a person who was always hot, loved air cond. etc.,what do you think could cause this, i've had normal cbc counts(other than 7.1 MPV count)  and urine cultures, are there any other more specific blood tests you can reccomend, could this be caused by lymphoma,bacteraemia, sepsis, kidney infection? other than the chills i get some bouts of dizziness even when i'm sitting, if you can tell me the possibilities and what to explore i would greatly appreciate it becauce my uroligist,and pulmonary doctors tell me they have no idea why i would feel this way, thank you very much for your time and attention on this matter, i have 3 kids and its starting to have a negative quality of life effect.
Infection leading to a fever can cause the feeling of chills.  If there is a persistant low grade fever, you can consider further testing to look for a source of infection.

This can include blood cultures in addition to the tests you have received.  

If infection has been ruled out, you can look for some metabolic diseases that may lead to the symptoms.  Specifically problems with the thyroid can cause the feeling of chills (i.e. cold intolerance).  Blood tests to evaluate the thyroid function can be considered to evaluate this possibility.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
i failed to mention i ame a 42yr old male
After recent OHS I have also had an inner deep fever like condition for about 4 weeks now. My HGB, RBC and HCT were below normal immediately after surgery but have improved but still below low range even after on a multivit with iron. My liver enzymes were elevated also after surgery but now back to normal and the inner chill still persists. I am also worried that this may be a lurking postop infection although my WBC has been normal all the time. Would appreciate comments and feedback from anyone with a similar condition.
A related discussion, Did you ever find the answer to this issue? was started.
A related discussion, Feeling Feverish and Chill was started.