Family Health Expert Forum
dizzy diabetic symptoms

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

dizzy diabetic symptoms

Here are my symptoms:
I became dizzy very suddenly, both arms very heavy, face numb, lasted about 10 seconds. Confused, unable to focus sight, hearing, thought.

Next day same thing but face not numb, EMT's checked blood (60), gave me orange juice & ten minutes later OK.

Next day same thing, went to ER, everything checks OK, to include brain scan & blood test..blood sugar test normal & has since remained normal.

Symptoms gradually diminished over next two weeks but still there.  When I get woozy, I am dizzy & my arms tingle and are heavy.   I can make the woozy go away by eating glucose tabs or carbs/sugar.  I have balanced my diet and reduced food intake (carbs/proteins)...sort of like the diet of a hypoglysemic.  If I eat too much at breakfast, I get woozy within an hour or two then it goes away.  My ears are ringing.  I sleep good and feel good when I get up but must be careful to eat a balanced breakfast & not eat too much or I will get woozy.  My urine color looks normal.

Heart and carrotid artery ultrasound check OK, EKG OK, blood sugar normal.  Pressure is 110/70, heart rate in low 70s.  I weigh 160 am 5'7" and 66 YOA, go to gym 3x per week and am a physically active person.  I do get "light-head" when working out in gym...this means slightly dizzy which is not like woozy.

Been to neurologist, have a brain scan scheduled.  This is very freightening for me, I know anxiety is exasperating things.

Tags: dizzy
Hi Mike,
There are a lot of things that can cause dizziness, and certainly when you are diabestic, the ante is upped some because you are more at risk for some of them.
It sounds like hypoglycemia may be an issue for you, and may be triggering some symptoms, so I would talk to your doctor about whether changing some of your meds may be appropriate.  Also you are doing the right thing being conscious of your diet.

Neurological and cardiac issues are more likely when you are diabetic too, so I think following through with the MRI or CT (whichever you have booked) and follow up with the neurologist is a good idea.  Even though you have had a normal ECG and echo/dopplers, they won't necessarily show ischemic heart disease (which can lead to heart attack), so if you aren't getting answers you may want to speak with your PMD or cardiologist about stress testing or cardiac cath (especially because exercise triggers symptoms).
The other thing that can occur in diabetes is called autonomic neuropathy.  I will include a link here from the National Institutes of Health that describes it in detail- this may be contributing to your problems too:
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/DM/pubs/neuropathies/

As you have said, anxiety almost always will make symptoms worse, so do the best you can to not let your stress affect your health.

Please make sure you follow up with your physician about this- dizziness can be a complex issue, especially in a diabetic patient.

All the best, and happy holidays.
JMK MD
Thank you for your comments.  Regarding diabetes; blood tests indicate that I am not diabetic, however, as I previously stated I know my symptoms are those of hypoglycemia.  If all tests are negative, I will follow with the cartiologist/stress test. mike
Hi Mike,
Sorry, I misunderstood due to the title of your post I think.
I would recommend a cardiology consult as you mentioned if there is no identifiable neurological issue.
Good luck.
JMK MD
It is abnormal for people to suffer sudden hypoglycemia (you seem to present the classic whipples triad) unless you don't eat.  Even then, the liver has glycogen reserves to break down to sugars once hypoglycemia occurs.  Aside from seeing a cardiologist as suggested by Dr. Keyes, you should see an endocrinologist.  It might be a symptom of an insulinoma.