Family Health Expert Forum
dripping after urination

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

dripping after urination

I have a few concerns, so I'll list them quickly.

1.  A few years ago, I had a growth on the top of the shaft of my penis. It showed two bumps that kind of looked like skinny fingers that were together. The doctor thought it was a wart, but he did a shave biopsy in which he removed the entire bump. He said no virus was found and it was only a skin infection. Can I trust the biopsy?
2.  I got tested for multiple STD's and came out OK. An Elisa for HSV-2 came out positive. Worried, I ran to get a confirmation test. I opted for the cheaper, POCKIT HSV-2 rapid test that physicians use in their office. I tested twice with 2 different doctors and came out negative on both. I've read that the POCKIT test is an extremely accurate test. Can I trust the 2 negative results?
3.  Lastly, when I use the restroom I usually have a few drops left after I urinate. I usually shake them out to get rid of them. I don't experience any pain, discomfort, or discharge when I urinate. I was scared that something was growing in my urethra to cause me to shake a few more drops out. My urine stream is straight and as strong as it was before. Should I be concerned?

Review of questions:
1.  Should I trust the biopsy results?
2.  Should I trust the 2 negative POCKIT tests.
3.  Should I be concerned about the extra drops of urine in my urethra when I urinate.

I'm very concerned because I'm dating a new girl that I care about very much and I would be terrified if I passed something on to her. I would like to get this all behind me. Thank you so much for your help.

concernedguy26.
Hello - thanks for asking your questions.

First off all, no test is 100% accurate.  There will always be a chance of false positives or false negatives.  

The Pockit test has a antibody-based HSV test has a sensitivity of 96% and specificity of 98%.  Although very good, there is a small possibility that there could be a false positive.  I do not know what tests your doctors used to get the negative results.

The biopsy is normally a pretty good test and normally can be trusted.  Again, I emphasize that no test is 100% accurate.

As the extra drops - I would be tested for an STD such as gonorrhea or chlamydia.  Tests for prostatitis should be considered.  If all the tests for infection are negative, then you may want to consider cystoscopy or other imaging studies to make sure there are no anatomical abnormalities (i.e. urethrap stricture or polyp) present.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
Thank you very much.

Kevin
Can you do me a favor and erase my first name from the last comment. Thanks.
A related discussion, post **** drip was started.