Family Health Expert Forum
drusen on optic nerve
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

drusen on optic nerve

Please describe what is drusen on optic nerve. Who is affected and what is the reason for thiscondition? What is the composition of drusen?  What aggravates/ameliorates the condition? What is the prognosis?  

Are eye exercises and homoeopathic treatment likely to affect it, positively or negatively?

2.  Is drusen independent of strabismus or are the two connected?

3.  Are Bates exercises for Strabismus (eye turning inwards)effective?  

4.  can diet/supplementation help strengthen the muscles of the eyes?
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
A condition involving retained hyaline bodies in the anterior optic nerve is known as optic nerve head drusen.  It is encountered in 1 percent of the general population.  Typically this is asymptommatic, but can result in visual field deficits or defects.  

Most of these cases can be followed serially - normally in 6-12 month exams.  An ultrasound can be considered for further evaluation in suspected cases.  In cases where there is visual defect, it can be treated with laser photocoagulation.  

I am not aware of eye exercising affecting people with this condition, not am I aware of its relationship with strabismus and Bates exercises.  I am also not aware of studies demonstrating improvement with diet and supplements.

You may want to consider an opthomology referral for further evalauation.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b

**Note: I'll be away until August 14th - The forums will re-open then.**
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979