Family Health Expert Forum
ear wax with ear tubes

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

ear wax with ear tubes

My daughter is 2.6 years old she has a lot of ear wax, I try my best to clean every week but most of the time I end up cleaning once in 2 to 3 weeks. if I do it every week her ears look clean and I see the clean ear canal, ear drum and ear tube but if I clean once in every two three weeks I cannot clean all her wax because some of her wax is deep inside and I am scared to clean because of her ear drum and ear tubes. the problem I see here is that my daughter does not like ear wax and she asks me to clean the ears and when I clean them just in front she says I have more wax clean more it is hard for me to explain that is dangerous on the other hand I want to clean her ear throughly so that she never gets bothered by her ear wax and my other question is can I use debrox to clean her ears with ear tubes.

tankyou

To answer your question about the Debrox first - no, children with a tube in or perforation of the ear drum should not have the following put in their ear canals: topical pain medications (such as Auralgan), wax removal preparations (such as Debrox, Ceruminex), "swimmers ear" preparations, and home remedies such as oil, peroxide, vinegar and alcohol.

Regarding the cleaning of your daughter's ears, it really is not safe to be sticking anything (including cotton swabs) in them to be cleaning any area that you can't see from the outside.  You can clean around her outer ear as much as you like, and this should be sufficient, as wax moves out of the canal to the outside on its own most of the time.  Some people do get a build up of wax in the canal, but cleaning that out should really be left to her doctor.

I know it's tough to tell her no when she wants you to clean her ears beyond the outside portion.  Especially at her age she probably won't be impressed with "no" for an answer.  You can try to explain to her the safety issue if you think she will understand, but more than likely you will have to endure a tantrum or two before she accepts that it's not something you can do.

I hope that helps.

JMK MD