Family Health Expert Forum
ganglion cyst on ankle

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

ganglion cyst on ankle

I first noticed a small lump on the outside of my right ankle just behind the bone 4 years ago and it remained the size of a pea for a while but when it began to grow I asked my GP to check it out,and he said it was a fluid filled cyst, which i determined from internet was a ganglion cyst. One day I realized it was gone only to have it come back and grow to the size of a golf ball.  It never bothered me but was very unsightly.  I had my first pedicure 5 days ago and feet soaked in hot water whirlpool basin for about an hour. Yesterday I discovered it has gone down completely but i can still feel excess tissue under the skin, so I was wondering if the hot water soak might have helped?  I am not in favor of any invasive procedure to treat it but wondering if regular pedicures could be the trick to keep it down or if i am just wishful thinking. I am 49 year old female and understand these cysts are most common in women 20 - 50 yrs.  Maybe it just went away spontaneously.  I'm keeping hopes it wont come back but is the hot water therapy something to consider if it does?
A ganglion cyst is a transient cystic swelling overlying a joint or tendon sheath.

Normally, no treatment is needed as they spontaneously resolve.  Refractory cases can be treated by aspirating the cyst, or surgical removal.  A referral to an orthopedist can be considered to discuss these options.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, cyst on ankle was started.