Family Health Expert Forum
hard bump under left armpit

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

hard bump under left armpit
HUH
I'm a healthy 31 year old female. About a week ago I discovered a hard pea sized bump just below the left armpit area. The bump is underneath the skin but it does stick out a little. No pain.  Is this something I should be concerned with? I have no idea what it could be. Thanks for any help.
Possibilities would include a lymph node or cyst.  It should be seen by a dermatologist or surgeon if it persists for more than a month.  If it is deemed a lymph node, it can be biopsied for further evaluation.  A cyst can be treated with drainage or in some cases, antibiotics.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
It's of course impossible to diagnose a lump online: it needs to be examined. However, the most common explanation would be a sebaceous cyst, which is a plugged oil gland. They are harmless; sometimes they can get infected.
A related discussion, You get this alot I am sure. was started.