Family Health Expert Forum
head and neck pain

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

head and neck pain

I had a bad head cold about 2 months ago.  I had pressure in my head and a pain up the side of my neck and into my head.  The cold went away but I had head pain in the side of my head and it hurt to  touch the top and back of my head and also my neck with any pressure. I went to the doctor and he put me on penicillin for 14 days for a sinus infection.  The pain in my head went away but my neck still hurts and it still hurts to touch the top and back of my head, although not as much.  Could this still be side effects of a sinus infection?
Difficult to say without evaluation.  With upper infection of the sinuses or upper respiratory tract, you can consider swollen and tender lymph nodes that can lead to your symptoms.  

If the infection is inappropriately treated, the infection can also spread - leading to some of the symptoms you describe.

Imaging the affected area - either with a plain film or CT scan can be considered.

This option can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b