Family Health Expert Forum
headaches and dizziness after fall

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

headaches and dizziness after fall

i am a 20 year old female on the 18th feb 05 i fell from a horse, landed on head at approx 30mph. i was taken to A&E in a taxi where i was then told i had compression fracture T3 and T5 and a burst fracture T4 i did not require surgery but did have to wear a hyperextension brace for 4 months and had 9 months physio. my back at the moment is ok it does get very sore from time to time but was told it would be like this for the rest of my days.

the problem i have at the moment started just after the fall, i have a headache 24/7 it seems to be getting worse there is a constant ache at the back of my head which i am told is due to soft tissue damage in the neck, but i also hav a sharp stabbing pain above my left temple and my forehead the headache gets worse with excersice. my left shoulder is also painfull and i have an electric shock type feeling taht goes from my thumb to the inside of my elbow (on the left) this happens more when i am lying down.the doc gave me amitriptaline 25mg, naproxen 250mg and co-drydamol 10/500mg none of which have helped at all.

my chest also has a sharp pain and also sore to touch its on my sternum and slightly on the left (not sure but think this could be from my back)

i also have dizzy spells to start with i just felt very light headed and had fuzzy vision and blacked out a few times but now i also have episodes where my vision gets duzzy almost completely black and it feels as though someone is pulling my head back this only lasts 10-20 secs at a time but can happen six times in an hour then not again for a week this really worries me as it has happened several times while driving and at work

also my memory seems to be affected i mainly forget names of people and objects but also for example i was at work (i just work on the checkout at a supermarket not manual work)i forgot what time i started and when i was ment to finish i had to get a runner to check the rota for me.

i have had x-rays of thoracic(T3,4 and5 fracture) and cervical spine(no problems) and have also had my eyes checked twice since the accident(no problems)

after several visits to the doctor i have now been refered to a neurologist but its a 3 month waiting list.

if you have any ideas they would be very grateful as i have many friends who have there own ideas and some of them worry me.
A concussion, or post-concussive syndrome is certainly possible, and can lead to some of the symptoms you describe.

However, before attributing the symptoms to that condition, I would consider some brain imaging to ensure nothing more serious is going on - like a slow bleed.  

A head CT and or MRI can be considered for further evaluation.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or neurologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
i forgot to add that i broke my nose at the time of the accident also and that for the last 6 months i have been having accupunctute. which helps my back but not the headaches or dizziness