Family Health Expert Forum
herpes test results

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

herpes test results

I recently had a herpes blood test (non specific) of which the igg & igm test results both came back negative.  I have also had a complete STD test including HIV that all came back negative. The test was performed just under four months after the possible exposure.
I did have a single raw irritated spot just under the head of my penis 4 months ago that promted me to get these tests done.  Nothing has returned since that one raw spot.  But since then for four months I have had small abdomen pains & genital itching (itchy penis) almost every day.  My question is this.  How reliable is the herpes blood test - have i waited long enough for the antibodies to be detected? - should I get re-tested? Is the constant genital itching and abdomen pain related to herpes if not what would cause constant itching & discomfort (herpes itching as I understand it comes just before an out break - not 4 months worth.

I just want be be sure that I am clear and stop the constant itching and discomfort. (i have tried hydrocortizone - still no better.\

Please help.

There are so many different answers on the internet which one do you take as facts or is this just an obsession

Thank you
The blood test for herpes are not 100% sensitive.  The more sensitive test would be a direct viral culture in its early stages.  

If the lesions reoccur, I would suggest obtaining a viral culture for a more accurate diagnosis.  Tough to say what else it could be without seeing the lesion.  Especially if you are having abdominal pain, it deserves to be evaluated by a physician to ensure nothing else is going on.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
You were tested at the appropriate time - it takes about 3 months or so for your body to develop enough antibodies to test accurately. If you're really worried about herpes, you could go back to the doctor and ask for an IgG type specific herpes blood test. They're actually quite reliable.

However, the fact that you've had constant itching for four months doesn't sound like herpes to me, nor does the abdominal pain. Since you've tested negative for all STDs, I think it would be a good idea to go back to the doctor to discuss other possibilities.