Family Health Expert Forum
local anthesia during pregnancy
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

local anthesia during pregnancy

Are there any drugs that are used for local anthesia that are safe to use during pregnancy?
Can minor cosmetic surgery be safely done during the first trimester?
Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum.

If you are planning on having cosmetic surgery during your pregnancy and have had no problem with local anesthesia in the past, in all liklihood you and your baby will be safe.
The most common local anesthetic agents used today in such procedures appear to be safe during pregnancy. These are drugs such as lidocaine, carbocaine, marcaine and polocaine. Essentially, small local doses of "caine" drugs appear to be safe.

However, if you came to my office with this question I would probably ask "Why now?" My general thought is that one should do as little as possible to cause risk to an unborn baby, particularly in the first trimester. If you REALLY want to have this done during your pregnancy, I would suggest waiting until the 2nd or 3rd trimester.

Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
5614495_tn?1371832804
Christina Palmer, M.D.Blank
University of California San Francisco
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979