Family Health Expert Forum
mononucleosis numbers

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

mononucleosis numbers

I am a 29 yr old female.This is my third time having mono. The second time was a reactivation and the third time, which I have right now, is not a reactivation, which I don't understand. I was diagnosed in the beginning of November of 2007 and here were my numbers- EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG=118       EBV Ab VCA, IgG=2703        EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG=1131           I recently got retested, about a week ago, because I am still so exhausted and my new numbers have all gone up.  EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG was about 136, EBV Ab VCA IgG was about 3000,and EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab IgG was about 1600. I don't have those numbers from last week in front of me, so those were from memory, but I do know they all rose quite a bit. I guess I just want to know if something else is going on here or if this really does sound like a case of mono that is just taking a long time to go away. It doesn't seem normal for those numbers to rise so much after about two months. Should I be concerned? Is there something else I should look into that may be going on? I'm not really getting answers from my doctor. She said those numbers are much higher than she has ever seen.

I do have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, I don't know if that could be related or not. My levels are under control right now, so I'm not having any issues with that.

My husband and I are also having fertility issues. We have both been thoroughly checked out, and we both seem to be perfectly fine except for a slight low sperm count. I was scheduled to do IVF in November but had to put it off because of my mono. I rescheduled for January but I am going to call tomorrow and put if off again. I'm just so frustrated and don't know what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Help!!

Carisa
I just wanted to add that I did get a CBC done and that came back fine.
So sorry, there is one more thing. My doctor just called me to tell me the results of my CBC. I thought the results were normal, but apparently they were not. My white blood cell count was 2.7 and my neutrophil count was low as well, but I didn't get the exact number. My white blood cell count has been low for  a few years, usually though it is in 3. 5 range. This is the lowest it has ever been. I even had a bone marrow biopsy a couple of months ago because of that and it all came back ok.

Carisa
it's reassuring that the bone marrow biopsy was normal, that would clear up concerns about the low CBC

some people do get recurrences of mono

it should not affect fertility

good luck!  ask your doc for more explanation!
thank you
you're welcome!  what'd your doc say?
A related discussion, EBV was started.