Family Health Expert Forum
neck tingling

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

neck tingling

I'm a 34 year old male. The past few weeks I've noticied when I rub or touch the back of my neck I get a feeling of pins and needles under the skin. It's not like that every day but about 3-4 days out of the week. Also on some days my right foot will feel numb for a few hours a day then go away. Sometimes it goes to the left foot but not as much.  I had a minor neck injury about 7 years ago and had a MRI done and then the Dr. said I had a slipped disc. I had mostly shoulder pain and a stiff neck then. I did some therapy for awhile and it got better. A few months ago, I think October, I again injuried my neck. This time I heard something pop in the upper back area and my neck was very stiff for about a week. I thought it got better but my neck is still stiff. This is the first time I've ever had the tingling feeling when rubbing my neck.  Do you know what is causing this? Why does it get worse when I touch the neck? Does the injury to the neck have anything to do with the foot problem or is there some other serious problem? The only other thing going on is I've been under alot of stress the last couple months and now I'me worried this could be something serious.
The symptoms suggest some nerve compression, with a description of tingling.  If there is further nerve compression, it may be possible to have your foot affected as well.

If the MRI done previously showed a slipped disk, you may want to repeat this test to see if this condition has worsened.  If so, and it is causing compression to the nerve, a neurosurgery referral can be considered for further evaluation and/or treatment.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b