Family Health Expert Forum
ofloxacin for infants

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

ofloxacin for infants

Sir/ Madam ,
  Our paediatrician has prescribed zanocin syrup twice daily for 5 days for my 11 months old baby for respiratory infection not responding to cefpodoxime. But isn't ofloxacin contraindicated in paediatric age group due to risk of irreversible jointIinjury ? Kindly advise on further course of action. Should I discontinue the drug ? Please help! Thanks in advance......
This is a good question and I am glad you are asking. Ofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone class of antibiotic, and you are right that this class of drugs has been associated with bone/joint/tendon injury, and there is a higher risk of this in children.

Fluoroquinolone antibiotics are generally avoided in children to due this risk, although a doctor may prescribe it when there is a strong suspicion of a bacterial infection that has not responded to other antibiotics, and the benefits outweigh the risks.

I do not know enough about the specific situation with your child, but I would recommend you speak with your doctor about it and find out more about why he/she chose that antibiotic, and if there is any alternative treatment. Your doctor is likely aware of the risk and may have chosen this antibiotic for a very good reason.