ofloxacin for infants
Sir/ Madam ,
  Our paediatrician has prescribed zanocin syrup twice daily for 5 days for my 11 months old baby for respiratory infection not responding to cefpodoxime. But isn't ofloxacin contraindicated in paediatric age group due to risk of irreversible jointIinjury ? Kindly advise on further course of action. Should I discontinue the drug ? Please help! Thanks in advance......
This is a good question and I am glad you are asking. Ofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone class of antibiotic, and you are right that this class of drugs has been associated with bone/joint/tendon injury, and there is a higher risk of this in children.

Fluoroquinolone antibiotics are generally avoided in children to due this risk, although a doctor may prescribe it when there is a strong suspicion of a bacterial infection that has not responded to other antibiotics, and the benefits outweigh the risks.

I do not know enough about the specific situation with your child, but I would recommend you speak with your doctor about it and find out more about why he/she chose that antibiotic, and if there is any alternative treatment. Your doctor is likely aware of the risk and may have chosen this antibiotic for a very good reason.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.