Family Health Expert Forum
pain on left mid section

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

pain on left mid section

I am not sure what medical label this condition should be under.
I have been experiencing what started with an itchy feeling that became painful after a short while. This area is located under the ribs on the left side, that seems to be under the skin. There is no rash, and now the itchy feeling is gone, but, the area is sensitive to touch, and the annoying pain is always there.I have not injured myself ,as far as I know. I have not lost appetite, but at times I feel that I have a slight "flu" case. I dont have a gall bladder,  and am a type 2 diabetic  . I am not on any medication but I do take 2000 ml of cinnamon a day, I try to control my sugar with diet and excercise .
I had infectous hepititis (hepatitis) in 1972, but no probelems with that since.
Is there any clinical advice you can give me as to what I should accept in the way of testing?
GI causes on the left side would include the spleen, pancreas of various causes of upper GI disorders.  

An upper GI series or upper endoscopy, as well as a CT scan would give a reasonable initial evaluation.

More specialized diseases, like primary biliary cirrhosis, can lead to itchiness.  Blood tests like antimitochondrial antibodies can be considered to evaluate for this possibility.

If the GI causes have been ruled out, a referral to a dermatologist can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Years ago infectious hepatitis was what they called what we now know as Hepatitis C. They also called it non A non B and finally it got it's offical name in the 90's. I strongly reommend you be tested now for Hepatitis c and b. It is a simple blood test. Also have your liver function tests done. Diabetes 2 can be caused by Hep C, every symptom you describe is also a symptom of Hep C. It can cause the patient no symptoms at all for 20 or 30 years and then start to show up in a variety of ways or what are know as "extra hepatic manifestations" it is VERY common to be infected in the 70's and have no symptoms at all,then have them show up decades later. This is why it is known as a "silent killer" disease.
One big tip off is that you DID have infectious hepatitis back then, they didn't know about it then so wouldnt have warned you you still had the virus. It is a very sneaky disease, you can have normal liver enzymes and  No symptoms but still have it. The itching is a big clue to look to the liver for answers to your symptoms.
I'd have a complete evaluation of your liver, have a hepatic panel done and have yourself tested for Hepatitis B and C so you can be positive you do not have this virus. It could explain your symptoms and also your diabetes. Many who treat their Hep C also have the diabetes 2 resolve when they get rid of the virus. Google extra hepatic manifestations and you can read about the correlation with Hep C. Millions of Amerians have it and do not know it, Hep C is OFTEN misdiagnosed or mislabelled as chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia.Doctors miss it all the time.
I hope you don't have it, but with all the syptoms (symptoms) you have I strongly suggest you be tested for it to either confirm that is what is going on or rule it out.