Family Health Expert Forum
puberty to early?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

puberty to early?
My daughther turned 8 recently and she has now been diagnosed as having a breast bud under her left nipple.  My concern is that she also has severe headaches with vomitting and in the past few months dark hair has grown in on her upper lip area.  Are these normal things to be happening to an 8yr. old? My doctor doesn't seem concerned, however, I am not convinced that something else is not going on.  She is tall for her age and she seems quite fit and healthy. (53inches tall and 64 pounds.)
What do you think?
Thank you for visiting the family practice forum.
I am a bit concerned about the vomiting and headaches you describe. First and foremost, she should get a CT of the head to rule out any underlying abnormality. Also, the dark hair growth on her upper lip MAY be normal, however it may also indicate a glandular (endocrine) problem. I would not consider these things to be "normal" in an 8 year old girl. The specialists who deal with endocrine abnormalities are called "endocrinologists". She may benefit from consultation here. The term "Hirsutism" refers to excessive hair growth, particularly in women. Check out this link to learn more --> www.hirsutism.homestead.com

I hope this helps!