Family Health Expert Forum
swollen lymph node

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

swollen lymph node

I am extremely worried about my husband. About 12 days ago he starte dt to feel pain/tender in the lymph nodes in front of his ear and a little under is neck.  He went to the doctor, who cleaned the ear and said go home. The next day, he felt aweful, he was exahusted, fever, chills and throat hurt badly. He went back to the doctor who said his throat had an infection gave him Augmentin for 10 days which made him feel a lot better. They also did CBC and just told him that his neutrophil went up from his normal of 66 to 79 which I don't know what they meant. But on Thursday before he did some big physical activity and started to feel bad again.  On his last day of his Antibiotics yesterday he started to feel the tender and enlarged lymph node under his neck again, and he feels really tired.  He has not lost any weight and eats and drinks regularly. I am so worried as to why the lymph node is swollen up again and why he is still feeling tired? Is this Cancer, should we be worried?

Infection is the most common cause of this.  Any type of infection in the upper respiratory tract, ears etc. can lead to swollen lymph nodes.

An increase in the neutrophil count also is suggestive of infection.  

If the lymph nodes persists for several weeks despite antibiotic therapy, you can consider an ENT evaluation for possible biopsy of the nodes to exclude cancer.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
I just also found a lump in my right arm piton the top right of it actually. it only gives me pain with i touvh it and i was alittle concerned. Also my boyfriends sister had to get her cyst removed from her arm pit and left her a nasty scar and an open arm pit ofr weeks. but at the same time i feel as if i do sweat alot on my arm pit area and it looks to be as if ita a little broken out. im not sure if thats becaseu of me saving and then sweating. i can feel it under the skin and maybe dime size and i can also move it around. i sometime get swollen glands behind my ear when i get a cold and also under my chin and those hurt alot worse then this on in my arm pit seems to hurt. i guess i decided to wait it out a few weekd and if it doesnt go away i am going to see my DR. any advice would to wonderful!! thanks YOU =)
ok I am 18 years old and about 6 days ago I noticed a pain right under my right arm pit that felt as if there was a bruise. Well, I felt it and discovered there to be some sort of lump there. It only hurts when I touch it and its under my skin and moves around. I dont have a rash or anything on my arm pit...it looks normal. I know that lately I have been sick with a sore throat and stuffy nose so I was wondering if it was a swollen lymph node...or something else. Thanks.
i have a swollen lymth node under my right ear around my jawbone,i also have a small knot on the left side of the  back of my neck. i have had them for almost a month. i have been to the e/r and to my family doctor. the e/r said possible cat scratch fever. the family doctor said i had fluid behind my ears. i was prescribed bactrum and antibiotic ear drops. neither worked to stop my lightheadedness so i went to another e/r and they gave me the z-pac which i just finished. i feel better but the lymth node under my right ear is still there. is this normal or could it be something serious? i have had an ekg and blood tests at both the family doctor and e/r and they have all been good.   thankyou