Family Health Expert Forum
swollen lymph node

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

swollen lymph node

About seven years ago I came down with a flu that became bronchitis.  A lymph node on the left side of my neck, just below the back of my jaw, became swollen and never went away.  About a year and a half later I had cells removed from it with a needle biopsy and they tested normal.  It hasn't changed over the years and is not painful.  What I've suddenly started wondering is if I should've been continuing to monitor it.  Can a gland be harmlessly swollen for years?  Or is it something that should be reexamined periodically?

Ellerbe
The biopsy is the most definitive test to exclude dangerous causes like lymphoma.  

I agree that it should be re-examined periodically to ensure cancer doesn't develop.  If the node is enlarging, it can be surgically removed.  

You can discuss these options with an ENT referral.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_