Family Health Expert Forum
swollen tonsil

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

swollen tonsil

I took my 8yr old son to our F.P. today due to a persistant chest cold. He has been coughing, sneezing, and having a horse voice on and off for approx 1 and 1/2 weeks. He seemed liked he was getting better, but wasn't beating it. I expected an antibiotic and some cough medicine (my son gets 2-3 colds yearly) I was very suprised and upset when the MD stated that my son has one swollen tonsil which could be from the cold, or it could be a form of cancer. (He said something after that, but I have no idea what it was.) He put him on antibiotic and asked to see him in 4-6weeks to see how the tonsil is doing. I'm numb, cancer..8yrs old. How do I get through the next month! Is it likely to be cancer? Is there any other condition that could cause this? Thank you for any input.
A swollen tonsil is most likely due to infection.  However, if it persists despite appropriate antibiotic treatment, cancer does need to be considered.

I agree with the treatment approach.  Antibiotics first to see if it resolves the issue, then a referral to a specialist if the tonsil remains enlarged.

A blood count can be considered if lymphoma continues to be suspected.

These questions can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com