Family Health Expert Forum
symptoms of E. coli

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

symptoms of E. coli

Will you please tell me the symptoms of E. coli? The reason I ask is because for about 2 days now I have been having abdominal cramping (mild) and I just don't feel good. I have no fever, but that is common ( Last time I had a fever was over 15 years ago before I had my tonsils out). My eyes are acting weird in that, I feel like I am looking through glass, and I see glares everywhere. Plus I keep getting hot flashes with nausea and am really teird. I do have back pain thats mainly in the lower lumbar region but also radiates to my right side (I do not have my galbladder)Last night I had a bit of rectal bleeding but I don't know if its blood in my stool or a hemrroid/ cut on the opening og my rectum. I am also having break through bleeding while on BCP that is more brown then red and only appears as a clot. 2 nights ago I also had intercorse witch was fine until he did manual stimulation with his hand and that hurt really bad( upper part of the vagianal canal/ bladder area. I ask about E.coli beacuse last week I eat a half a bag a spinach.  Thank you for your time in this matter.
Diarrhea would be the main symptom.  Nausea can occur as well, with vomiting less likely.  The diarrhea is watery in nature, and can last 24 hours.  In some cases however, it can last 4-5 days.  

Testing the stool and obtaining cultures will be the next step.  Treatment can be instituted if the cultures come back positive.  I would also do blood tests looking at the blood count as well as a metabolic panel.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
You would be very, violently ill and throwing up and have the runs.