Family Health Expert Forum
tallguy1978

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

tallguy1978

Dear sir or maam, I have a question. My girlfriend is having some problems. She is bleeding after we have sex. She is 40 yrs of age and is on the pill. This has only statred to happen as of late. We have been dating since april and our sex life was fine. She had her yearly OBGY exam in june and everything came back fine. About six weeks ago she started to bleed during and after sex. It doesn't happen all of the time but it has become more frequent. She has told me that she has had no pain or discomfort from this, but then a few days ago she said it has started to hurt her just slightly. Yesterday we had sex twice, once in the morning and then again before bed. Both times there was no bleeding at all. Then this morning when she awoke in bed she was bleeding or had bleed in her sleep. Sometimes the bleeding is heavy and sometimes it is hardly anything. She has told me that her periods have not been affected by this and that they are normal. She has made an apointment to see her physician and will be going soon. I am just wondering if you could give me a clue as to what may be going on in this matter. I am not in the least conserned about our sex life, I just want her to be healthy and in good shape. I have researched this topic on the net and also talked with her about it. She has a close friend who is a nurse that has given her some suggestions of what it may be and she has disscussed this with me. Right now I am just trying to get some info on what may be the problem, for good or bad.  Any answers would be appreciated. Please post a return on this site, or send to my E-mail. ***@****  Thank you for your time....tallguy
Abnormal uterine bleeding needs to be evaluated by a gynecologist.  

Various causes can include infection, uterine disease, cancers, or fibroids.

A pelvic exam, pelvic ultrasound and endometrial biopsy can all be considered.  

If the bleeding continues and cannot be stopped, an urgent physician visit needs to be done.

I would encourage her to discuss these symptoms with her gynecologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Thank you sir, for your kind and prompt response. You have been very informative. My girlfriend is going to see her physician on monday the 26th. She did have an IUD inserted about 6 years ago, but had it removed after a year. And also, she has had no spotting or anything abnormal any other time. This only happens when we have "intercourse". I am the type of man who is not shied away by women's physiollogy. (sorry for the misspelling). For me, not knowing anything is MUCH harder to deal with than knowing something or some information. Again, thank you sir. If you happen to have any other reasons why this may be occuring, (For better or worse) please respond. ... A concerned Tallguy1978.