Family Health Expert Forum
the penis
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

the penis

my question is that on the tip of my penis around the urethra opening,my penis is red around it and its irritated. it feels like theres a tingle there also it feels itchy but there is very little pain just discomfort. i had sex about 2 months ago with a condom. also i have not been circumcised. what could be the problem. thanks
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
There are a variety of conditions to consider.  The first would be some kind if STD infection - including gonorrhea or chlamydia.  Other causes can be a fungal infection or a dermatitis.  If those causes are not present, then you may want to consider prostatitis or epididymitis as causes.

I would obtaining a urine sample or urethral swab looking for the STDs mentioned.  Treatment is with antibiotics if any of the tests are positive.  A digital rectal exam for prostatitis should also be considered, as well as a scrotal ultrasound for epididymitis.  

If there is no infection present, a cystoscopy can be considered to evaluate for anatomical causes - such as a stricture or polyp.  A referral to a urologist should be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank