Family Health Expert Forum
throbbing headache on top, left side of head

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Hi. I'm a 35 year old male in good shape. I currently get a throbbing headache on the top of my head, on the left side. This started about 2 months ago. This headache only lasts no more than a minute most of the time. It mostly occurs when I'm laying down in bed after I have been sleeping for awhile. When I get out of bed it goes away. It occurs about every other day.  When I do my cardio exercise it does not bother me, just ocassionally when I'm lifting weights in the gym but quickly goes away. I also get this same type of headache when I get stressed out at work. I had a CT scan done about 3 weeks ago, which was normal.   About 2 months ago while lifting heavy weights in the gym I had something pop in my upper back on my left side.  My neck became very stiff for about a week and slowlygot better but still have some stiffness on the left side of the neck.
My question is what is causing the throbbing? Should I do anything else?
Thank you in advance for any help.
If the CT scan is negative, things like a tumor or bleed is less likely.

Other causes can be a tension or migraine headache.  If there is an association with nausea or photophobia (i.e. aversion to bright light), that is more suggestive of a migraine.

Cervical neck strains or spasm can sometimes cause headache-like symptoms.  

Physical therapy can help if a strain is involved.  Treatment for tension headaches would include NSAIDs.  Discussion with your personal physician is suggested.  If the diagnosis continues to be non-revealing, a referral to a neurologist can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
As a 12 year old, I suffered a concusion by falling off the back of my cousins moped bike. I, to this day, have a dent on the crown of my head and at times I get severe pain along my scalp. Just to touch my hair hurts. The area that is affectted gets larger as time passes and now the whole top of my head hurts at times. I have decided that this must be nerve related because  MRI showed nothing but this is one of the most frustrating ailments I have ever experienced in my 37 years of life.
A related discussion, Headache/Felling Faint was started.
A related discussion, Head Ache was started.
A related discussion, Dull light headache was started.
A related discussion, Headaches and sore neck was started.
A related discussion, Headache on the left side covering the top, temple, sinus, and eye was started.