Family Health Expert Forum
tingling feet and leg

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

tingling feet and leg

About a month ago I started getting cramps in my toes at night. Now it has gotten so it will start as tingling.  It can be either foot.  I will get up and walk and go back to bed.  It doesn't get alot better and by the end of the night it will be sore up the side of my leg (no higher than my knee).  Rubbing my foot or leg just makes it move higher.  Can be extremely painful.  During the day I may get some tingling and a little stiffness but nothing like what I get at night.  Also get a little tingling in hands, but not anything like the feet and legs.  What could this be?  Should I go to the doctor immediately or is there something I can do to see if it clears up?  A few years ago I had tingling in back of leg and had an ultrasound to check for clot.  It was normal.

I am 47, and in the long process of going thru menopause.  Have had alot of problems with ovarian pain and hot flashes.  Don't believe this would be related to the tingling feet problem.  I am not on any medication other than St.John Wort for a few months for feeling blue with menopause.  I started cutting back on that the last few days.

Thanks for your help.
Louise
Thank you for visiting the family practice forum.

What you describe could very well be nothing more than Nocturnal "night-time" Leg Cramps. This can be treated quite easily with a medication known as "Quinine" and some stretching exercises before bed. Other possibilities include certain types of RADICULOPATHY.

Radiculopathy is a term used to describe pain, weakness, numbness or abnormal sensations being felt through an area of the body that is controlled (innervated) by a particular nerve or grouping of nerves.
With "cervical radiculopthy" there is some irritation of the nerves originating in the spine of the neck. These nerves normally leave the spine and travel to the neck, shoulders, arms and hands. If there is severe muscle spasm or a disc abnormality, such as a slipped disc between the bones of the spine, irritation of this nerve or nerves result and symptoms of radiculopathy may be present. With "lumbar" radiculopathy, the situation refers to irritation of the nerve or nerves leaving the spine of the lower back resulting in radiculopathy involving the hips, legs, feet and toes.

Evaluation of Radiculopathy

With both cervical and lumbar radiculopathy, the doctor will want to do a thorough examination to determine the extent of the weakness or numbness present. The best test to consider is an MRI. This will demonstrate if there are disc abnormalities which could be causing pressure to be placed on the nerves in question. Other tests such as nerve conduction studies may be considered. These help demonstrate the ability of the nerve to pass its "message" through the nerve fibers to the arm or leg.

The doctor may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication, rest, physical therapy and muscle relaxants initially. If the symptoms don't resolve, surgical consultation with an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon may be necessary.

I would recommend seeing the doctor to have this looked into further. It is possible that the "stress" of menopause is adding to the problem. It is quite unlikely that St. John's Wort is causing any of the symptoms you mention.

1 Comment
check for diabetes, my husband had that numbness in his toe, fingers etc. I checked his sugars and to our suprise it was 330. After treatment it went away.

Just a thought
A related discussion, Tingling in legs and feet was started.