Family Health Expert Forum
too many dreams

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

too many dreams

64 years old, generally have a good health, can't sleep because of too many dreams, i wake up every 20-30 minutes, need to know if i am sick, what is the name of the case, is there any medical centers in europe specialized in this case.
Thank you for visiting the family practice forum.

The normal 60 year old person spends about 20-25% of their sleep in REM sleep. This is the "stage" of sleep where most dreaming occurs. Sleep progresses from stage 1 (the lightest level, during which the sleeper can be awakened easily) to stage 4 (the deepest level, during which waking the sleeper is difficult). In stage 4, the muscles are relaxed, the blood pressure is at its lowest, and the heart and breathing rates are at their slowest. Besides these four stages, there is a form of sleep accompanied by rapid eye movements (REM) and behavioral activity. During REM sleep, electrical activity in the brain is unusually high, somewhat resembling that of wakefulness. The eye movement and brain wave changes that accompany REM sleep can be recorded electrically on an electroencephalogram (EEG).
You need to first check to make sure you are on no medication which could cause increased REM sleep. Also, people who drink too much caffeine may have difficulty getting into the "deeper" stages of sleep.

What to do...
1. Review your medications with your doctor to make sure you are not taking any medications which could disturb your sleep.
2. Avoid caffeine entirely
3. Consider having a "sleep study" done. Here, your sleep will be observed and the examiner will be able to monitor how long you stay in each "stage" of sleep.

You certainly appear to have a sleep disturbance problem. There are medications to treat this problem. In my experience it does not usually indicate any "serious" underlying medical disorder. The good news is there are medications which can be used to help improve the sleep of individuals with sleep disorders.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dean M. Tomasello, M.D.
Just out of curiosity, where would one go to inquire about getting a sleep study done, USA or otherwise just for general refreance because I suffer from severe insomknia myself.  I'm lucky if I get 3-4 hours sleep a night if that.  Not because I'm not tired , but I drag all day long and then I got to lay down at night and then it takes me forever to fall asleep and then when I finally do get to sleep, I either don't stay asleep, sleep lightly, or have very disturbing dreams like the lady above.  I mean dreams like I'm falling and I wake up right before I hit the ground, or someone's chasing me and I can only run in slow motion, or I need to scream and I have no voice etc.  I have taken sleep aides before like vistiril, restoril, imiprimine, none of which worked at all.  So I was just interested in that sleep study thing.  I have never heard of that before and would like more info on that.  My son has sleep problems too.  He sleep walks, and gets very violent when you try to awake him.  Maybe he needs one too.  Thanks.

Sara Hoke
Kentucky
Sorry to burst in again but the nearset universitie Hospitals to me would be UK Hospital in Lexinton Kentucky or UT Medical Center in Knoxville Tennesse.  UK is about 100 miles from me and UT is about 77 miles from me so if you know if either of those facilites implimant any good sleep study programs let me know.  I would be really interested in checking into them.  Also how would one go about that.  Does a person need a doctor's referral for that?
Thanks again in advance?

Sara Hoke
Thanks again in advance?

Sara Hoke